1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Lookin for some friendly advice

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by lawnagent, Jun 28, 2007.

1. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

I do 99% mowing. But I have been asked to reccomend some plants or shrubs and put them out for a fellow I know. His plant bed in front of his house is 22' long and 2 1/2' wide. It is bordered by a gravel drive in front and a concrete block porch and foundation on the other side. This side faces southeast. On the south west side he has a spot approximatly 14" long and as wide as I need. As you can see both sides get slot of sun. I need something low maintenance, especially something that will not grow very high in the front bed. Maybe 4 feet high. Anything higher will need alot of trimming. I figure the front will ALWAYS have an excess lime issue-being surrounded by concrete block and gravel.

Thanks for any advice you all can give!:)

2. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Youpon holly would be a good choice - hardy , low growing . Dwarf Burford holly is another hardy possibility, Of course , there are almost unlimited options on plant choice , spacing , incorporation of perennials or seasonal color .......

3. Venturewest

Venturewest LawnSite Senior Member

The dwarf yaupons are a good choice. You could also consider Crimson Barberry, 'Gold Coast' Juniper, Goldmound Spireae, some really nice ornamental grasses, Indian Hawthorn.

I would take a photo to your local nursery and hit them up for ideas also.

4. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks! I appreciate it! :)

5. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

Look at some of the dwarf nandinas, such as Firepower, Gulfstream(I think)
    They do not grow fast, nor too high, If in bright sun they will turn a nice red in the fall-winter. I had boxwoods and dwarf( ha) youpons and was constantly having to trim. I pulled them out about 4 years ago and went with the nandinas and have had just a little bit of pruning to maintain shape I wanted. Another couple of varieties are Harbor Dwarf and Harbor Bell, both of which have a finer more fern like foliage. The Harbor Dwarf is seedless, and the Harbor Bell has red berries in the winter.