Lawn Care Forum banner

Looking at new trucks, why get the 3/4 ton when the 1/2 does the same work

23K views 353 replies 34 participants last post by  Mark Oomkes 
#1 ·
I'm looking to add a truck to the company. Am I mistaken or are all these new half tons pulling ridiculous tow numbers?

The ford f150 have a higher tow rating than the Chevy 2500HD I'm looking at, what is going on here?

I want a stout truck so that my business can grow, but now wondering if a half ton will do the same thing I need it to.

I'm only looking at gassers, and I'll be towing a dump trailer and maybe putting a plow on some time down the road, but aside from the frame girth, it looks like these half tons these days can haul and tow the same or more than 3/4 ton gasser.

#2 ·
The difference may be how long they last. I'd go with a 3/4 if you're planning on a plow or daily dump trailer. Also the 1/2 is capable of those numbers but the transmission isn't designed for daily towing of 10k and the bigger truck gets the bigger brakes.

#3 ·
Half ton your going to be limited on plow selections. Like Knox said they also don't have the bigger brakes and trans. For the gassers you can now get into the 10speed trans for the SD trucks. Nice when paired with the new Big V8 for this model year.

If your main use is pulling a mow trailer with the occasional dump trailer duty and are ok with the smaller plows a 1/2 ton is fine.

If you want to be able to haul the dump trailer at max weight every other day I would bump up to the SD models. If your going to want to have a plow, salter and even a back blade as an option I would go SD without question.

I haven't looked into Ford 1/2 ton plow options but the biggest issue was the electric steering. Been awhile so take it for what it is.

#12 ·
Half ton your going to be limited on plow selections. Like Knox said they also don't have the bigger brakes and trans. For the gassers you can now get into the 10speed trans for the SD trucks. Nice when paired with the new Big V8 for this model year.

If your main use is pulling a mow trailer with the occasional dump trailer duty and are ok with the smaller plows a 1/2 ton is fine.

If you want to be able to haul the dump trailer at max weight every other day I would bump up to the SD models. If your going to want to have a plow, salter and even a back blade as an option I would go SD without question.

I haven't looked into Ford 1/2 ton plow options but the biggest issue was the electric steering. Been awhile so take it for what it is.
Big V8?
Are they putting more than the coyote in the f150 now?
I thought the 6.2 was reserved for the raptor and super duties?
Something new I don't know?

#5 ·
Read the fine print on the 150... you need a weight stablizing hitch for it. Also, the fuel economy goes to the crapper when towing in the 150, so there isn’t much gain over the 3/4 ton there. Most important though is the braking. You will wear parts a lot quicker on the half ton, whose components look like toys compared to what you see on a 3/4 ton.

#11 ·
Read the fine print on the 150... you need a weight stablizing hitch for it. Also, the fuel economy goes to the crapper when towing in the 150, so there isn't much gain over the 3/4 ton there. Most important though is the braking. You will wear parts a lot quicker on the half ton, whose components look like toys compared to what you see on a 3/4 ton.
Won't the trailer do the braking ?

That's what the trailer brake controller is for
If it's set right you shouldn't get much wear over normal breaking with your truck breaks

#8 ·
personally I would not want much heavier than a 12’ dump on the bumper pull. I have a 14’ gooseneck dump and it rides so smooth. Only downside is the limited use of the bed. I can jackknife the trailer and load my mini skid backhoe attachment though. But there isn’t much space for anything else with the toolbox and L shape transfer tank

#10 ·
I'm looking to add a truck to the company. Am I mistaken or are all these new half tons pulling ridiculous tow numbers?

The ford f150 have a higher tow rating than the Chevy 2500HD I'm looking at, what is going on here?

I want a stout truck so that my business can grow, but now wondering if a half ton will do the same thing I need it to.

I'm only looking at gassers, and I'll be towing a dump trailer and maybe putting a plow on some time down the road, but aside from the frame girth, it looks like these half tons these days can haul and tow the same or more than 3/4 ton gasser.
Well all fords are better than chevys
You can probably find a focus to out tow a Chevy !

You're NOT going to find plows to go on a half ton that you'll be happy with

No commercial manufacturer or dealer will install the plow you want on a half ton

But I think it has more to do with Liability and crash rating crap
And if they do it and something bad happens it can come back to them.

So with that being said, it doesn't mean you can't put a plow on a half ton , just not the one you want/are thinking about
OR you can install one yourself.
With modifications

If you look up YouTube there's a Ford raptor with a commercial boss v plow.
It's pretty sick

You'll need to put timbrens or similar (air bags?) up front or you'll get terrible plow sag.

My personal half ton rides soooo much better than my work one ton.
Come hell it highwater my next truck will be a half ton.

I looked really heavily into Nissan Titan
But when I saw the plows that they can put on one?
Super disappointed

I mean if you're going to plow 3-4" in a driveway ? Maybe it's ok.

Me?
I'm a supervisor so I don't plow all night
I pick up a missed windrow or corner
But when the stuff hits the fan, it's a back up plow truck and when 1" is on the ground abd the fleet didn't roll but the salt truck is on the way?
I've been known to plow three acres in an hour... so I need a real plow

Raptor costs too much money but I dig how they look/ride
I'll probably outfit an f150 to be a poor mans raptor and put a plow on it in the next 3-4 years.
At least that's my plan at this time
It will replace both my f350 and my Toyota Tundra.

#14 ·
No!!! Stay away from the 3.5 ecoboost. Nothing eco about it. I get the same mileage in my 18 Cummins as I did in my '15 f150. Trust me I've had both. Pic of me and the sales guy when I traded up trucks
Car Vehicle Wheel Tire Automotive lighting
Automotive parking light Vehicle Sky Tire Hood

Reactions: Mark Stark
#15 ·
Luckily I didn’t owe a lot on the f150 and the dealer was willing to work with me a lot on the trade, or I would have lost my shirt. Half tons don’t hold their value like the larger trucks do. Especially if you are an idiot and get a Lariat like I did

#16 ·
Luckily I didn't owe a lot on the f150 and the dealer was willing to work with me a lot on the trade, or I would have lost my shirt. Half tons don't hold their value like the larger trucks do. Especially if you are an idiot and get a Lariat like I did
Is that the dodge with the welding issue?

#22 ·
Luckily I didn't owe a lot on the f150 and the dealer was willing to work with me a lot on the trade, or I would have lost my shirt. Half tons don't hold their value like the larger trucks do. Especially if you are an idiot and get a Lariat like I did
huh, odd.... we don't have the same experience with that here....
people sell trucks for prices that make you wonder if theres a pallet of gold bars in the bed!

#27 ·
I can tell you from first hand experience that the 150 doesn't hold up.

58xxx miles on mine, 42xxx of that with a trailer on the bumper. Rear end is whining and motor is burning oil. No where near the towing capacity, but the amount of use has killed it.

Currently looking at 250's and they're insanely priced. Dodge and Chevy are even higher.

No way Id buy a first year motor from ford. Especially when the 6.7 diesel is the most reliable motor every built (next to a 5.9 Cummins)

#28 ·
Yea, you’re going to pay more for a 3/4 or 1 ton but it’s worth every penny. Plus you get a longer warranty I had 100k on the ram, but I voided it early when I did the delete and tune. Also replaced the head bolts with studs like they do on the ford 6.0’s. You can buy a 10-15 year old diesel with confidence, I just wanted a new one because it’s my DD and I was able to get a good trade in on my other truck with a low rate on the remaining balance. It’s paid off now

Reactions: Mark Stark
#31 ·
I love my half ton, because it's a daily driver that occasionally tows and hauls. I wouldn't know about it's durability for heavy use, as I wouldn't use it for that. I do know people that have used them for that and they never hold up. It's always something.

If you're regularly towing equipment and going to plow, 3/4 all the way every day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.