Looking for 36'' Hydro walk behind, but which kind??

RonWin

LawnSite Senior Member
I have mostly 1/4 acre lots but have a couple acre and 1/2 lots as well. Of these lots there consists slopes, obstacles and gates. This being said I am thinking about picking up a 36" walk behind hydro mower; most likely a Dual pump drive.

One problem, ... which?

I am just starting out and while I do not want anything crazy I want efficientcy, durability, reliability, and ease of operation.

I have been so far looking at Ferris. (They are made and repaired in NY where I live).
They want : $3760 - Single pump drive 36" walk behind hydrocut
$ 5260 - Dual pump drive 36" walk behind hydrocut

I am open for interpretation to any brand and for a reasonable cost. I Dont want to spend over $4300 if i can help it.

Help Please!!

OP
RonWin

RonWin

LawnSite Senior Member
for the exmark viking they want about 6000 from where im from. The guy was also saying that if im in that ballpark i should look into getting a stand on mower. Any comments for stand ons?

OP
RonWin

RonWin

LawnSite Senior Member
Just got off the phone with a husqvarna dealer. Said he can do a 36" hyrdro walk behind dual pump 15 HP for $4200. Im thinking this is the best possible deal?

Also does anyone else have experience with husqvarna mowers?

WHIPPLE5.7

LawnSite Senior Member
I used to work at a Husqvarna retailer and my best advice is to stay away from them. I can't believe I'm saying this I'd watch and see what happens with the BOP line. I own one and wouldn't mind a 32" but like many others I feel a certain level of customer betrayel by the way they are handling their transaction. I currently need some parts and nobody has picked up the phone in weeks at their office.
Posted via Mobile Device

99team

LawnSite Member
Bobcat! You can probably get one around 3-4000ish and they are great! We run them in ohio and love them

for the exmark viking they want about 6000 from where im from. The guy was also saying that if im in that ballpark i should look into getting a stand on mower. Any comments for stand ons?
I have Scag WB's and the V-Ride stand on as well. You still can't beat a WB for being able to handle hills that stand on or sit down mowers slide down and just can't handle.

I've used Velkes, Sulkies, and the Velkie Super Pro. I'm wishing I had given the Pro-Slide a try. I think a short wheel base WB 36 with a 20 HP+/- Kawi and a Pro-Slide would be a nice combo.

I think there is still some work to do in the WB design department.

Roger

LawnSite Fanatic
..... I think a short wheel base WB 36 with a 20 HP+/- Kawi and a Pro-Slide would be a nice combo.

I thought so too. I bought a Pro-Slide for an Exmark 36 Viking. I did all I could to make it work, but finally gave up.

The 36" machine is: (1) Too light, and (2) Too narrow, not a wide enough footprint.

The Pro-Slide "drove" the machine, not the other way. The resistance of the slider was too much for the machine to handle. It worked pretty well for long runs, flat terrain. But, those properties are very few and far between.

I sold it off, and bought a two-wheeled Bull-Rider. It is a convertible model, either to be used in "caster" mode, or "trailer" mode. The "caster" mode fixes the sulky, and each wheel is allowed to rotate on the caster spindle. The BR would not work in this way, for exactly the same reason as the Pro-Slide. The sulky "drove" the mower. When locking the caster spindles and releasing the swivel on the hitch for trailer mode, it worked well. I was unable to make a true zero turn, so each turn had to be made in two parts. But, I worked this combo for years and years, with hundred (thousands?) of miles behind the mower. The BR is a tough piece of goods, but also very heavy. I don't use the combo now since I bought a ZTR, to be used on the properties the 36 w/b and BR were used.

My w/b has a 15hp Kohler, but horsepower was never an issue. A 20hp would be overkill.

I thought so too. I bought a Pro-Slide for an Exmark 36 Viking. I did all I could to make it work, but finally gave up.

The 36" machine is: (1) Too light, and (2) Too narrow, not a wide enough footprint.

The Pro-Slide "drove" the machine, not the other way. The resistance of the slider was too much for the machine to handle. It worked pretty well for long runs, flat terrain. But, those properties are very few and far between.

I sold it off, and bought a two-wheeled Bull-Rider. It is a convertible model, either to be used in "caster" mode, or "trailer" mode. The "caster" mode fixes the sulky, and each wheel is allowed to rotate on the caster spindle. The BR would not work in this way, for exactly the same reason as the Pro-Slide. The sulky "drove" the mower. When locking the caster spindles and releasing the swivel on the hitch for trailer mode, it worked well. I was unable to make a true zero turn, so each turn had to be made in two parts. But, I worked this combo for years and years, with hundred (thousands?) of miles behind the mower. The BR is a tough piece of goods, but also very heavy. I don't use the combo now since I bought a ZTR, to be used on the properties the 36 w/b and BR were used.

My w/b has a 15hp Kohler, but horsepower was never an issue. A 20hp would be overkill.
I've never had any issues with my Velke, Sulky, or Super Pro not handling well. It's more the hassle of chaining them up to back out of the trailer. Plus guys tend to get lazy and try to ride them while backing up when it would just be quicker to jump off. My Scag was a hydro with a Kawi 16. Only on hills with a rider the Scag would have benefited from more power.

My heavier 36" V-Ride has the Kawi 20 and it's great. Fuel consumption isn't much different then the Kawi 16. When mowing excess growth after a fert application or rain event it's not possible to have too much power. Especially if you mulch like I do instead of blasting grass every where. Was your mower a belt drive or Hydro and how much do you weigh?

The Scag Pro-V with the RS-S Sulky seems like it may be the best combo for efficiency. It has a quick attachment/detach point. I just don't like the controls on the Pro-V. I think not being able to control each wheel independently is going to cause turf toe problems. As expensive as some of these ride on accessories are you would thin someone would build one out of decent aircraft grade aluminum stock and cut the weight in half.

I'd say if you could possibly make it work get a Wright Stander. They're a good 25% faster than a WB and about that much easier to operate.

I make do with a 36" WB & a sulkey 'cause I have to have a WB for mowing ditches.

Just get the kind where you stand between the wheels like a Wright or John Deere, not the ones where you cling to the back of some modified WB. They just don't handle the same. I've demo'd LOTS of them.