Looking for a flowswitch.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirty Water, Nov 6, 2006.

  1. Dirty Water

    Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,794

    I'm looking for a flowswitch that completes a circuit when it detects any flow.

    The ones I've found so far do the opposite, they break the circuit when the detect too much flow.

    Or perhaps one that I can modify to reverse the way it works?

    PROFESSORRAIN LawnSite Member
    Messages: 246

    Dirty check with your local fire sprinkler supplier they have just what you want.That probably easier said than done but you will find they have all kinds of items you can use in different situaitons.+ not real $$$$$$$$$.I see them seahawks are holding on!!!How do ya'll like that Bama boy( s.alexander)Go seahawks
  3. Dirty Water

    Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,794

    The reason I'm looking is that I'm frustrated with the typical Pump/Pressure Tank/Pressure Switch setup to run an irrigation pump. There are too many times its a pain to get it balanced right and not have the pump cycle. (Drip zones etc).

    I dislike just using a Pump Start Relay because many of our installs have yard hydrants.

    My thought is to run constant 24v to the flowswitch, and then wire it before a pump start relay.

    So, whenever the water starts to move (hydrant opens, or a zone comes on) the flowswitch would trigger and the pump would start. When the demand for water stops, the flowswitch would kill the current and the pump relay would close.

    Seems to me that this would eliminate the pressure tank, and the constant hassle of fighting to get the GPM matched perfectly to the pump.
  4. Dirty Water

    Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,794


    PROFESSORRAIN LawnSite Member
    Messages: 246

    Dirty I got what you want,It is called MASCONTROL from ACQUATECH NORTH AMERICA check it out see if it might help.works well but on valve after it close a little bit.For a little back pressure.:drinkup: :waving:
  6. Dirty Water

    Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,794

    I've seen similar products to the MASCONTROL put to use on regular domestic wells, They are very pricey.

    I think for a simple irrigation pump, using Flow Swith and a PSR, with a pressure switch as a failsafe would work very well, for a heck of a lot less.

    PROFESSORRAIN LawnSite Member
    Messages: 246

    you got the flow switch that you need and it works both ways i believe
  8. PurpHaze

    PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,496

    We use a flow switch for a booster pump on one of our stadium field systems. The booster is only activated when flow is detected in that section of main line. I know it works well but I don't know what brand it is. I'll try and check today.
  9. Mjtrole

    Mjtrole LawnSite Member
    Messages: 226

    Try flotronex.net they service a site we had a contract for, the flow switch was threaded into the discharge side of the pump, It made contact and turned on the relay.
  10. speedbump

    speedbump LawnSite Member
    Messages: 117

    You can get the Grid switches here. They come on at 1gpm flow. They are also switchable. In other words the switch inside the unit has three contacts. One common and the other two are either normally open or normally closed. So you can use it to turn something on or off.


Share This Page