looking for a local professional i cant reccomend in fairfield county ct

Discussion in 'Professional Discussions' started by walkinonwater27, Oct 10, 2019.

1. walkinonwater27

walkinonwater27 LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

alright I'm tired of fighting with irrigation companies on proper watering practices, I need someone I can recommend to my clients who knows a thing or two about turf management. who doesn't water every lawn the same way and actually looks at shaded areas and full sun zones properly. Main concern is you do not set all your irrigation to water in the middle of the night so every summer the lawns are all fungus and weeds from keeping the soil/ grass wet constantly. irrigation is a huge part of turf grass management but most irrigation companies know nothing about grass. also every other day watering/ everyday watering is not what I'm looking for, anyone in my area know what there doing? contact me and I can start recommending clients to you, I mostly work up and down route 7 but am all over Fairfield/Litchfield county.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Wind and water pressure argue in favor of watering in the wee hours of the morning. Scheduling depends on controller capabilities.

Every other day programming can connect to state laws demanding water conservation using odd-even day schedules. State laws can override desires for watering every third day.

3. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

Are you the person mowing, applying or what the lawn?

4. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Because of the way licensing works in CT there are not a lot of (legal) irrigation companies (that and it’s a tiny northern state)
    CT irrigation out of Branford covers the whole state.
    They used to have a hot little blonde number that worked Fairfield county as an account manager... but she’s probably 45 by now and maybe no so hot anymore

5. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

Still out there, OP?

6. OP
    OP
    walkinonwater27

from ct

yea im still here just waiting for a fish to bite. I only do fertilizer applications but no matter how many handouts I leave to my customers explaining proper watering they cant be bothered with setting the irrigation themselves and trust there company to do the right thing. they say they relay the message but after aerating a seeding many lawns and having to mark the sprinklers beforehand I see the same thing across the board, 1 am start times - 3am start times on lawns that notoriously have fungus/ weed issues. I just want a small local guy who knows what hes doing.

hort101 likes this.
  7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

We used to often see older sprinkler systems set to come on at 6 PM or hereabouts, on account of the homeowner wanted to see it working, and maybe nudge a problem (brass impact head) with his foot and get it working right.

Night time watering doesn't seem to create fungus so much as maybe exacerbate the condition. There are a lot of sprinkler systems that won't provide perfect coverage in the daytime, because of wind and lower water pressure.

8. OP
    OP
    walkinonwater27

from ct

Night time watering is the devil.

9. OP
    OP
    walkinonwater27

from ct

I’m not expecting to find much considering I’ve crossed paths with 5 or so irrigation companies and there employees can’t tell me what kind of grass is on the lawn, let alone what conditions spark fungus. Temperature and moisture. Unfortunately I can’t control either .

hort101 likes this.
  10. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Why not change the clock yourself?

If I do any lawn repair or overseeding I insist on checking the clock or some customers can do themselves during initial discussion

If no irrigation they have to handwater or I'll set up a sprinkler on a hose

After seeding I usually will run a manual watering and check for proper operation and coverage if any issues then call in irrigation company

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    walkinonwater27, Outlawn and zr100 like this.