Looking for a mentor in the Carolinas

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Lone Mower, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Lone Mower

Lone Mower LawnSite Member

We’re looking for someone to give us some guidance in the lawn care industry. We’re a new start up father and son lawn care business in York County, South Carolina… We have a new 48” Wright ZTO, Trimmers, blowers, ect. I have also passed the Pesticide Core exam and now studying for the Ornamental and Turfgrass Management certification. We would like to know more about bidding both residential and commercial properties. Including spraying, mulch, pruning, mowing, and ect.

2. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

That’s why there’s lawnsite. Tons to read here from the early 00’s and before until now

Doc8406, GrassManKzoo, DXN1EL and 2 others like this.
  3. Mark Stark

Mark Stark LawnSite Senior Member

When seeking a mentor, you need to consider what value YOU can offer to them. It's unlikely you'll find a good Samaritan to be a mentor if you can offer nothing to them in return.

You may want to say something like this....

"We're a new lawn company seeking a mentor. We'd love to refer work that we can't handle currently. We'd also love to help your company on any projects where you're short staffed for FREE. We're eager to learn!"........

You get the idea. Bring value instead of just asking for value in return.

zraffz, Lone Mower and RussellB like this.
  4. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

NALP has a program
    Join NALP and they team you up with a mentor

Don’t recall the name of the program just this minute

Lone Mower and MMlawncareirrig like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Lone Mower

I understand completely and honestly it was hard for me to ask for help knowing I have nothing to offer. I don’t want to be a bum by any means. After thinking about this further we could offer a mentor all of our future hardscape work that we may need to quote.

hort101 likes this.
  6. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Lone Mower and hort101 like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Lone Mower

Thanks!

8. Carolina Cuttin' Company

Carolina Cuttin' Company LawnSite Senior Member

Hello, fellow startup SC landscapers. I have nothing to offer, but I'll be keeping track of your progress. Just curious, what made you to do it? Also, why father/son. (Not that I'm at all opposed to it.Thumbs Up I just started my business and my dad wants me to hire him. ;):laugh: Unfortunately, my business can't afford to hire, and he couldn't support the family on that kind of income.)

9. OP
    OP
    Lone Mower

My dad and I worked together in the metal fab. business for over 20 years so I guess thats why. But my son has very little interest in that type of work. So we decided to start a lawn care business so that my son can learn the value of a dollar and be his own boss.

10. Carolina Cuttin' Company

Carolina Cuttin' Company LawnSite Senior Member

Nice. Ever heard of Dave Tucker? He's actually the brother-in-law of the guy who owns Wright Mowers.

http://www.thebeautifulbusiness.com/aboutme/
    https://clip.com/
    http://www.cliplawncare.com/

hort101 likes this.