Looking for a new push mower ($300-700)

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by KT2002, Jul 13, 2018.

1. KT2002

KT2002 LawnSite Member

Hello everyone!! I am in the market for a new push mower. My 13 year old Craftsman 6.25hp is starting to let me down. I just need a mower to mow once a week, not bog down in thick grass, and not to leave clipping everywhere. I was looking at the Craftsman ProSeries 21" 190cc ($380) but came across the 28" 223cc one today ($699). Are these good mowers or do I need to be looking at other brands? A friend told me about Dickson exmark but these are $1,000 for a 21". Maybe I am just use to the old prices. lol Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

Honda 216 $400

Walker56 likes this.
  3. Redland1

Redland1 LawnSite Member

I second the Honda Hrr216.I purchased one a few months ago and love it.I cut twice a week with it and it offers a superior cut compared to my last Craftsman.

4. JP in KC

JP in KC LawnSite Member

The only problem with a Honda, no matter how well it cuts, is that it's going to have a Honda engine on it, and they are nothing but trouble.

TreyDoc likes this.
  5. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

My Honda 216 has taken 2 years of commercial wear better than any 21inch mower I’ve ran. They all go to crap after a year. Now that I mention it I need to change the oil in it. Never have. Thing will start 1st pull right now, no smoke

knox gsl, hal, hort101 and 1 other person like this.
  6. GoPappy

GoPappy LawnSite Bronze Member

??? Honda engines are world renowned for their reliability. Every one I've ever had has been great.

You may have an axe to grind with Honda. That's ok, but don't give out bad information to people looking for advice.

Babaganoosh and hort101 like this.
  7. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Toro recyclers are pretty good too

sjessen and JLSLLC like this.
  8. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

I’ve snapped handles of many recyclers but they do work well

hort101 and Walker56 like this.
  9. JP in KC

JP in KC LawnSite Member

And every one I've ever had has been nothing but trouble.

Not sure why your assertion that they're renowned for reliability is good information and my first hand-and very costly- experience is bad information?

10. GoPappy

GoPappy LawnSite Bronze Member

Do a poll on the Lawn Mowers subforum here and see whether the pros think Honda engines are "nothing but trouble."

Babaganoosh and JLSLLC like this.