• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Looking for a tip.

dave316

LawnSite Member
I am new to the res/com turfcare world. I come from a golf background, and have really only one simple question (for now).

What are some tips you are willing to share with me on how to reduce the amount of blowing down that needs to be done, while still ensuring an accurate edge appearance to your properties. I am taking over the plant health division that manages about 75 commercial properties ranging in size from 5K to 500k square feet. The overwhelming problem that I noticed on all properties as I carried out our final fertilizer application last year was a slight discoloration out toward the edge of the curb, sidewalk, or what have you. The previous applicator ran his edges 'lean' to avoid the time intensive blow down process.

Is it feasible to use a small hand spreader (preen applicator type or "monkey grinder") to spread narrow, long islands? Just looking for some ideas to increase the way professionally maintained properties look, which will help all of us out in the long run.

BTW our main method of application is employing the use of a Z-spray spreader.

Thank you for any input that you may be willing to give.

Dave M.
Lenexa, KS.

Last edited:

Marcos

LawnSite Gold Member
I am new to the res/com turfcare world. I come from a golf background, and have really only one simple question (for now).

What are some tips you are willing to share with me on how to reduce the amount of blowing down that needs to be done, while still ensuring an accurate edge appearance to your properties. I am taking over the plant health division that manages about 75 commercial properties ranging in size from 5K to 500k square feet. The overwhelming problem that I noticed on all properties as I carried out our final fertilizer application last year was a slight discoloration out toward the edge of the curb, sidewalk, or what have you. The previous applicator ran his edges 'lean' to avoid the time intensive blow down process.

Is it feasible to use a small hand spreader (preen applicator type or "monkey grinder") to spread narrow, long islands? Just looking for some ideas to increase the way professionally maintained properties look, which will help all of us out in the long run.

BTW our main method of application is employing the use of a Z-spray spreader.

Thank you for any input that you may be willing to give.

Dave M.
Lenexa, KS.
If those areas are difficult to target with your Z-spray, get a good durable commercial push spreader w/ plastic deflector system just for the purposes of cutting around the outside perimeters, then use your Z-spray to overlap this pass 1/3 or whatever, & then fill the voids in the middle.

A push spreader may work in islands, assuming there's no landscape.
Otherwise your monkey grinder idea is fine.
Or you could experiment with compost topsdressings or other organic materials JUST in the islands, so you can give side-by-side results comparisons to yourself or your clients in the future.