looking for a tool

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Wyboo, Apr 24, 2007.

  1. Wyboo

    Wyboo LawnSite Member
    Messages: 24

    I am looking for a tool that will detect valve sites. Looking to buy or if possible rent. From what I have been told they are expensive
  2. bicmudpuppy

    bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,781

    I can detect valve sites from a long way off w/o any additional tools :)
  3. PurpHaze

    PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,496

    A wire tracker like the Progressive 521 wll track the irrigation wires to a valve but they're expensive. Some rental places may rent them. There are also other devices that you hook to the valve wires at the controller and they'll "chatter" the solenoid constantly so you can hear it through the ground if the valve isn't too deep. I've never used them because they don't fit our situation. We own the 521.
  4. PurpHaze

    PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,496

    Bryan (caressing a Lawn Genie beer): "Yup... I detect that there are some valve sites out there on my golf course." (as he fires a zone and just looks for the sprinkler head locations since they're all valve-in-head sprinklers) :laugh:
  5. irrig8r

    irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member
    Messages: 4,553

  6. Mike Leary

    Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 23,168

    I think it depends on the amount of service/locating being done. We have a
    chatterbox, used once...valve has to be VERY shallow to hear the chattering.
    The 521 would my choice if I was doing a lot..yass, pricey..but it made us a
    large amount of money & saved tons of time.
  7. Greenguy1

    Greenguy1 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 103

    Do you have a friend in the phone industry? they all have locating devices and often have an old one that they no longer use (Hound dog) etc. they all keep state of the art equip. so the old ones are often discarded or sold cheap. the best way is to keep all the valves in one location near the vacuum breaker and you won't have to search the entire lawn for the valves, I know that is not always possible but for the smaller 4-8 zone systems it's the best way, I know some may disagree

Share This Page