1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for advice after I received my Soil Test

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Mbrown2858, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Mbrown2858

Mbrown2858 LawnSite Member

I moved into a new house and recently just got the soil tested. Based on the results my Nitrogen was high but pH, Potassium, Sulphur, Iron, Managnese, and Zinc are low. I was looking for advice on where I should start and what to apply? I’m new to the lawn care game and was wanting to get it going in the right direction. I’m open to any recommendation. Thanks in advance!

1B7CB036-6144-47D1-B6FE-1AD0011C8A85.png

B7F6F84F-44BE-420F-B50C-7D3588D20109.png

2. kemco

kemco LawnSite Gold Member

I'd start with lime. But the lime will most definitely take some time to bring your pH up it needs to be done because if your pH is off your turf won't be able to fully utilize any micros you add.

hort101 and Mbrown2858 like this.
  3. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

What is the preferred ph range of the turf you are growing? That is pretty low but some can deal with it. Higher would be better. Except for the zinc nothing else is that big of a deal. Pecan fertilizers are a good source of zinc.

hort101 and Mbrown2858 like this.
  4. kemco

St Louis area... And consideration of the results reading that an optimum pH is closer to neutral would make me assume you stated you have a tall fescue lawn? Again guessing. When we send our soil to the lab we list what we are growing or want to grow in some cases so that the recommendation will apply. If bermuda or fescue on mine id ideally like to see it in the low 6s.

Mbrown2858 and hort101 like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Mbrown2858

Thanks for the reply! I’ll definitely look into starting with like to get my pH level up a bit. I’m from St.Louis with Tall Fescue.

hort101 likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Mbrown2858

Thanks for the reply! I’ll definitely try to get my pH level raised up some. I’ll look into finding some fertilizer to bring up my Zinc as well. Any concern for the high level of Nitrogen?

hort101 likes this.
  7. kemco

Sorry correction I meant if I have a bermuda or Zoysia lawn is like it more in the low 6s. We don't have a lot of tall fescue here the heat just beats it up. But it does better in a more alkaline soil than B or Z, and fairs not too well in acidic. Currently you are 10x more acidic than you need to be. Follow the recommendation for the lime. It's better if you can incorporate it into the soil of you are going to start over or reseed. But you can do apply over. You are probably going to need somewhere around 35 or 40# lime for every 1k sq ft. Measure out and make sure you are putting down the correct amount. The more silt the soil the more lime per k you will need. The bag should tell you how much # per k you need to put down... I'd go for a full one point increase in pH... Whatever the direction on the bags of lime read. Kitchen scale, and a one gallon graduated mixing /w pour bucket does well... Because it will sit on a kitchen scale. Then apply evenly with a spreader.

hort101 likes this.
  8. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Where did you get that test done??
    I need to send my stuff there!
    Mine usually needs and Egyptologist go decipher it!
    How much does it cost?

hort101 likes this.
  9. kemco

Don't know about his, waypoint analytical is $10 for a basic NPK like this and comes with a nice graph as well and recommendations. For $16 you get a further breakdown of micros.

hort101 likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Mbrown2858

kemco I appreciate you taking the time to explain of that! I will definitely take all of that in to considering moving forward to try and get this going in the right direction. I wasn’t planning on starting over But was going to wait and reseed in the fall.

hort101 likes this.