• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Looking for agitation ideas for an ATV sprayer

rcreech

Sponsor
Best way to get good agitation on an ATV sprayer is go mudding and mountain climbing before you apply. :)

All you need is for your pump to have enough gallons and have a slinger on your return line!

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Right. You have to use the excess flow from the pump to agitate the tank by using an agitation nozzle at the bottom of the tank. Multiple nozzles will work better--if--there is enough flow. Agitate for a few minutes before you start. Once you open the spray nozzles--there will not be enough gals per min flow to provide vigorous agitation. If you are applying about a gal per minute--you need a pump of about 2 gal per minute to provide vigorous agitation.

Of course, you can use an electric drill (12 volt) and a paint stirring paddle to get the solution to swirl.

You can also drop a 12 volt bilge pump into the tank. Good flow. Maybe you could even spray with it. No guarantee about the chemicals and the motor seals, though.

However, you will get better results if you use an amine herbicide, which only settles out very slowly. Lesco Eliminate is a good choice.

CHARLES CUE

LawnSite Gold Member
Those pumps have shut off switch that shuts off the pump gets to 45lbs all you have to do is crank up the screw. cut the line going to the boom put in a tee put in a pressure regulator in top of the tank and you have agitation at least when the nozzles are not open. On mine the nozzle come to 3 gal a min and its only a 3.3 gal a min pump so iam maxed out.
Charles Cue

Ric

LawnSite Fanatic
Steve

E mail send.

OP
txgrassguy

txgrassguy

LawnSite Gold Member
Well, I solved the agitation question.

Installed a SureFlo 2.8gpm 60 psi pump on the 15 gallon tank.
Then plumbed in a pressure regulator with by-pass set at 30 psi for the handgun.
Still mocking up the boom assembly but I figure 3 to a maximum of 4 nozzles depending upon height above the turf. Pressure for the by-pass agitation will depend upon the pumps' ability to supply the nozzles and the nozzle I select.

Additionally I have an in-line wire strainer/cup assembly to help in nozzle/hand gun tip clogging.

Once I get the whole assembly to the paint stage, maybe two more weeks, and once I have the final nozzle/boom set up I'll post some pictures. I also have a remote manual actuating valve that I can mount on the handle bars and send the feed/discharge lines back through to the strainer so I can keep the hand gun as well as the boom.

Good thing about this set-up is I started with a donor tank/pump so my costs are just $80.00 for the replacement pump. Plus once I finish with the mock up I can easily switch to a 25 gallon tank - when full the larger tank doesn't weigh more than some fat chicks I have hauled around.

OP
txgrassguy

txgrassguy

LawnSite Gold Member
Riggle, I did - thanks for the link.
I extended the by-pass tube to sit on the bottom of the tank next to the intake line for the pump.
Immediately noticed much better agitation of the herbicide, didn't loose prime when fluid level in the tank dropped to 2-3 gallons with the subsequent continuation of uniform pressure and spray through the handgun.