1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for an AERATOR.

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by ACutAbovesiny, Sep 24, 2006.

1. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

I would like to buy an aerator during the fall. What should I look for? Which ones do you like?

2. ACutAbovesiny

Not a mower attachment...a walk behind.

3. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

if i could, the plugr is the best i have seen. Very similier to the ones i used on golf courses. pulls a very nice plug

4. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

For a walk behind machine.

I would would investigate into a cam type machine.The old drum and chain type are rough on the operator. After a long day behind our Ryan LA IV and V'S , the workers are done in. The Ryan's are tough machine's will last forever and a day,and have a high rate of Square feet per day , less moving parts,but are a major bear to operate. The cam type machine's inflict much less operator fatigue, and all and all are more productive machines.

As our Ryan walk-behinds die, they are being replaced with plugr, cam type aerators.

5. ACutAbovesiny

Thanks, I'll look it up.

6. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

does anyone know what the price range is of the plugr. I watched the video on there website and it definetly looks like its better spend the money on a plugr instead of a conventional aerator.

7. johnscag

johnscag LawnSite Member
    from Balt md

How about tow behinds? I am not sure what size lawns everyone else is doing but could not imagin walking a couple acres with a 22inch !!
    Thank you for any input

8. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

As the owner of a plugr and a lesco split drive drum. The plugr is alot better at removing plugs and doesn't beat your body. Also I can push it up in the back of the truck with ramps. It is slower than a drum type aerator. When looking at the plugr get the hydro unit. With out it the plugr sucks on hills.

9. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree as well get the hydro.It is true the Plugr is slower, but for the need we have for it, small stamp Chicago lawns, to small for a tow behinds and surburban lawns with fenced back yards, the Plugr is perfect.

Less operator fatigue , the ability to pull good quality plugs,places the Plugr right at the top of the list for walk-behind machines.The PLUGR we have has had no problem pulling out good 2.5 to 3 inch plugs. The Plugr produces a good spacing pattern and the machine lays more plugs per foot than our Ryans

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Think I paid around $3000 for my Plugr 800 last spring, the hydro model is another grand or so.