Looking for an arch or bow for my rack body

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by farmboy52787, Jun 14, 2008.

  1. farmboy52787

    farmboy52787 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 165

    Looking for a steel arch or bow for my rack body so that i can pull my mesh tarp over it and be able to blow more grass in my truck than i currently can. Any idea what they are officially called. I know I have seen them before on tractor trailer trucks that haul wood chips or whatever but I have no idea where I could get two or three. Any advice would be helpful thank you.
  2. newtostone

    newtostone LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY
    Messages: 681

    Ummmm, now ill put this out there altho it may not be what your looking for quality wise. But if you take some PVC pipe anything under 1" you can cut it slightly longer than the width of the bed and then use a 45degree connector to each wall and use that. If you don't understand what i said and would like me to reword it feel free to ask. I sorta got lost myself as i read it. Anyways i used that method for my dump trailer to allow the leaf loader to shoot the the far side of th trailer without hitting the tarp or having it sag. Hope this helps
  3. rt20

    rt20 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 26

    We used electrical conduit. Had to rent a "conduit bender" from the local rental store but we were able to bend it to the shape we needed and then had to make some holder clamps for the conduit to fit into.
  4. farmboy52787

    farmboy52787 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 165

    so it must have been the steel conduit?

    CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,526

    i have bows that i use for my leaf box they are solid aluminium. contact a tarp company they should be able to help you
  6. rt20

    rt20 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 26

    Yeah it was the steel conduit. We've had them on our leaf truck for over ten years.
  7. GravelyNut

    GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,594

    They are sometimes known as stays. You can check with a greenhouse maker for ones made out of Al.
  8. dutchman

    dutchman LawnSite Member
    from CT
    Messages: 106

    Do you have some more info about that and some pic. I am thinking of making one for my rackbody so I can use it with the leaf clean-up.
  9. farmboy52787

    farmboy52787 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 165

    I went to a dealer that sells tractor trailers, they had one and 2 of them that were bent and the ends were cut off, so he sold all 3 pieces to me for $20 and i had my buddy weld some ends on there and they work slick, i can pack a lot more grass in the truck now well when the grass grows i can pack it in there, but pretty soon I'll be saying Im sick of all this grass, but life goes on.
  10. rt20

    rt20 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 26

    I'm off til next Wed., but will try to get some pics then. If I remember we used 10' conduit and made the first bend in the middle at about a 150 degree to 160 degree angle. Then just bent the ends to fit inside the rack and drilled u bolts to secure the ends of the conduit into the wood sides.

Share This Page