Lawn Care Forum banner

looking for commercial reel mower

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  richard2 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a commercial reel mower. I have been searching via internet but have found only one company. I know there have to be more. Help.

#3 ·
I first started noticing commercial mowing and how it was done in about 1972. I bought a old Gravely (actually 3 old gravelys that became 13 but that's another story) The place I bought parts also sold and serviced Locke. in the early spring there were probably 50 of them in there for service and blade grinding. It was unheard of for a Pro to use a rotary mower. I am sure improvements in rotary, speed, cost caused the changeover but it would be interesting to here from someone who was there as it happened.

Frank

#4 ·
mowing a gated community. all houses. and common areas.
The community is on a golf course and the home-owners are very $$$ and very picky. they like the look and unfortunatly know just enough to be oppinionated as to what should be used to cut their grass. We won't loose the accounts because of this but I wanted to explore this avenue.

#8 ·
Pro: on the right lawn, reel mowers will do a job head and shoulders above a rotary

Con: they are a maintenance nightmare. Thats why rotary has become the dominant player by far.

Time is money. Get lots of the second 'cuz you'll be using lots of the first.

Bill

#9 ·
Here is the one I was trying to think of.
http://www.nationalmower.com/index.htm

Also, here is a list of links
http://www.crocker.com/~jricci/currentmfg.html

#11 ·
i use a 1967 toro sportlawn power reel on some nice stuff...rear throw, not a prob to mow in the rain, like stone said true stripes... California Trimmer makes a 25' that is a front throw that holds up real well under all conditions...also Tru-Cut is another one...you can't use a reel on shmeg lawns- a stick will ding your blades and you'll be looking at around $85 to sharpen...plus when the reel is ground too much it's all over and time to replace the reel- ouch$$$!!! anyway you can mow shorter than any rotary mower could ever think of and if you "mulch" with the reel (no basket) the clippings become liquid much faster... here in seattle i use power reels in the spring and fall and late winter...if you get the hang of it you too will see that nothing cuts as nice as a reel...good luck..(caltrim also has lever height adjust..)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.