Looking for feedback on the Darwins grip back saver. Anybody use one?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by rippinryno, Jun 25, 2019.

1. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Bronze Member

2. Skol

Skol LawnSite Senior Member

Ordered one a month back. Don't know what I'd do without it now. Took a few yards to get used too, but it does save you from having to lean down, and therefore takes pressure off the back. Doesnt
    change much if you use a trimmer to edge on it's side, though. It also makes the trimmer a bit heavier. Well worth $50.

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

That's interesting.

sjessen likes this.
  4. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Gold Member

When I was mowing I moved the D handle closer to the engine, made a huge difference in how often I had to lean forward and relieved a lot of lower back pain. This does look interesting though, I'd give one a try if I had a chance.

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  5. Skol

I left the original handle on, along with the Darwin grip. I still use the original handle when I flip it on it's side to edge a curb/driveway.

6. OP
    OP
    rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Bronze Member

My concern is that it might change the angle ofthe head too much and thus scalp since it wont be nesrly as even with the shaft being so much lower.

7. Skol

You can adjust it about every way imaginable.... It caused zero issues for me. Like I said, a few yards to get used too.

8. That Guy Gary

Are you talking about the Darwin setup or choking up the handle?

Do you find yourself still extending your arm like Skeletor?

Skeletor moved his D to about where I like it, I also rotate it to the left a bit.

I'm vertically challenged and have short arms, not sure how much difference that makes. Another benefit of choking up the grip is how much easier it is to carry it for awhile since you can basically let your arms hang, even while flat trimming.

It's an adjustable handle though and I'm not Skeletor. Once it's attached to the handle can you adjust the degree of the angle it is in relation to the shaft?

9. That Guy Gary

Nevermind I took a close look at the bracket, it obviously rotates.

10. Skol

Yeah, you can adjust it any direction you want. I have it to where I can keep the hand on the darwin grip pretty close to my body.

That Guy Gary likes this.