Looking for in ground well lights

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Mondragon Lawn Serv, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Mondragon Lawn Serv

Mondragon Lawn Serv LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Hey guys, have not been much on here bc of work and now married life. I'm in need of good recommendations for good in-ground well lights. I haven not ad issues before as most we have put are either in pavers, concrete, or inside beds. These are going in grass areas where mowers will be going over them and on some on slight inclines. Hope everyone is doing well, we're still helping people clean up after hurricane Harvey here in Houston.

2. AMP_Lighting

AMP_Lighting Sponsor

Hi Mondragon,

We just made it through Irma, so I appreciate what some really bad weather can do!

AMP has some of the best well and in-grade lights on the market - the HydraPro™ series. These are cast-brass waterproof modules with attachment points to convert them to well lights, in-grade lights, and underwater lights.

They feature high lumen output (900 lm) integrated Cree™ LED sources, interchangeable optics, and can be dimmed with our handheld remote control - offered at a very attractive price.

[​IMG]

See the HydraPro LED Series.

Steve Parrott

3. Classic Lighting

Classic Lighting LawnSite Senior Member

4. steveparrott

steveparrott Sponsor

5. kellanv

kellanv LawnSite Bronze Member

WAC 3" in grade are pretty terrific. You can get them with rock guards if needed. Tilt, intensity and beam spread adjustability within the fixture.

6. wyrenutz

wyrenutz LawnSite Member

Installing below grade fixtures in grass areas are very difficult to achieve stealth.
    If you are fussy and determined to hide the light source, don’t use a product that has glass on it at the grass level.
    There is only one product that achieves this stealth application that I know of and it comes with a price and so it should in my opinion.
    If you don’t really care to explain and sell the associated expenses for a good stealth design then there are all kinds of product lines that you can choose from.
    Look around and u will find the fixture that I am referring to.....
    Hope this helps you moving forward. Light on

7. Mondragon Lawn Serv

Mondragon Lawn Serv LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Thanks for the responses. I've used a few well lights from Fx, vista, volt, & if I recall correctly coppermoon as well. My main concern is the durability since they will be in grass areas. As of now we have had landscape beds to put them in and haven't had an issue since there really isn't any traffic to deal with. Have had some go in concrete but thouse are the same, there's not much traffic to worry about. We have that famous gumbo soil here in Houston so that's a big reason for the problem

8. kellanv

Shrouds, louvers (hex) and rock gaurds can all be used to help shield depending on distance from the viewer etc. Infinity rings can be used to keep spill off longer blades. There are some true well types with the enclosed source articulating within an open, grated well. Excelsior makes a directional one that works well.

Otherwise if you are going to be judgy about how others light, at least provide info on your "elite" stealth fixture. The OP not putting accents in turf is a big step over a lot of lighting companies.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    hort101 likes this.
  9. wyrenutz

wyrenutz LawnSite Member

Kellanv,
    Was not trying to be judgy at all. When you went to Illi was this not discussed (having glass on the below grade)?
    You have the manufacturer correct.
    Once Installed, walk away ten feet in any direction and you will not see the source. Providing the grass is trimmed.
    For his type of soil he just asked about installation methods on the second post.
    Maybe others will offer some info.

10. kellanv

I apologize if I misread your tone. Personally I believe that sharing tips and products helps everyone - especially on this forum where product representation can be...monotone.

For the OP: Yes hiding the source is always a goal. On in-grades in turf, distance from fixture, length of turf, density of turf how many viewing angles all play a role. Glassless definitely has it's place. For me it's on more isolated areas that look horrendous with 20 glowing dots in the otherwise prestine vista.

In the case of the Excelsior fixtures, they do a nice job hiding source. The inside of the box can glow at closer ranges but so will any fixture. They are pretty large however and can be pretty visibly distracting in smaller areas. At ILLI we installed a bunch of them on the NJ project.

In theory if the turf has a good density and we use previously mentioned accessories we can nearly eliminate source glare most of the time. When the grass itself is tall that can give away the position of any fixture unless effort is made to reduce spill. Infinity rings can be purchased or fabricated to keep grass away from the edges of the in-grade etc.