• Bad Boy

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Gravely

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Ariens

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Husqvarna

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • other (explain your choice in a post please)

Votes: 2 12.5%
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting a zero turn. Currently My mom's property is about and acre with tons of lots around that I could pick up. My mom has had 6 back surgeries and still has back pain. I am looking for a mower I can use that if my mom needed to in a pinch, could use. Ideally 4000 would be a cap budget for a new machine. I want something that I have room to grow into business with ( mower is the final piece) that is also comfortable to ride ( not jerky and bumpy). Any recommendations to look at? Currently I am looking at ferris and toro my ride.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'm afraid you'll need to adjust your expectations. The only new machine of commercial quality for $4,000 worth buying, is a belt-drive walk behind.

If you want a Zero-Turn, you can find many used units within that budget worth buying.

As far as your mother... If she's had (6) back surgeries, and still has back pain, why would you even consider putting her on a mower?

Ferris may have be best ride. The best way to counter rough terrain, is perhaps to move your body so that you're leaning forward - like you're riding a motorcycle - so that you're back is not absorbing all of the impact. Or, get a stander, or walk-behind with a pro-slide attachment.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I kinda want something heavy duty, my mom was looking at the home depo or lows special.... we sorta settled in the middle at prosumer grade similar to a ferris 400s. she can do a lot, and it wold be in a pinch that she would mow only her lawn. I am a junior in high school and do track and cross country.

3 surgeries were structural the other three were to try to find a stimulator unit that worked. the first one was a fusion then they did rods screws and cages where they nicked a never then made her loose the ability to drive manual because of the need for sensitivity in her left foot.

I have been looking the used commercial route but she wants something brand new with near to zero hours on it. she will allow me access to what ever consumer grade on prosumer grade she ends up with. I wanted to split something that way we can afford something like and exmark radius or equivalent machine.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
also, my parents are divorced so in the event i am on vacation with my dad or can't get over to my mom's from my dads for whatever reason, she can get it done if it really needs to be.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I looked at your profile to see your posting history. You’ve kinda meandering around from operating with a friend to looking for walk behind to what’s a good and cheap ztr for you and maybe your mom. What brought you to your current choice in the direction of a $4,000 ztr ? I’m not using the term meandering like it’s a bad thing, I can really get on some members nerves when I ask a zillion questions then head in a different route. Just a little concerned that one day it’s a business with a friend, probably a walk behind, then something else, now a ztr your mom can use. Are you totally sure that a ztr is where you are best to invest your $4k?

·
Registered
56,838 Posts
I kinda want something heavy duty, my mom was looking at the home depo or lows special.... we sorta settled in the middle at prosumer grade similar to a ferris 400s. she can do a lot, and it wold be in a pinch that she would mow only her lawn. I am a junior in high school and do track and cross country.

3 surgeries were structural the other three were to try to find a stimulator unit that worked. the first one was a fusion then they did rods screws and cages where they nicked a never then made her loose the ability to drive manual because of the need for sensitivity in her left foot.

I have been looking the used commercial route but she wants something brand new with near to zero hours on it. she will allow me access to what ever consumer grade on prosumer grade she ends up with. I wanted to split something that way we can afford something like and exmark radius or equivalent machine.
Good for you for having the drive and desire to start a business!

I suspect everyone will tell you to not get a Lowe's or HD consumer level machine. It's a bad idea to spend that money on a machine that's not commercial.

I'd suggest looking at Bradley mowers OR seeing if you can find a clean used machine within budget. Don't be afraid of a walk behind.

Good luck!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am right now trying to convince my mom to split a machine with me. I want to get something in that 5 to 6 grand range brand new, but she has yet to agree to that. I know from doing reading that something like that, even doing 1 acre will last way longer than the lowes or HD special. Me and her dont see eye to eye on the value of a good (more expensive) machine. she will let me take the HD or lowe's special to do other yards but I would feel guilty beating on something she payed for. she says 3 to four grand is her cap, I am trying to convince her to buy the ferris 400s that has way more durability and comfort.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good for you for having the drive and desire to start a business!

I suspect everyone will tell you to not get a Lowe's or HD consumer level machine. It's a bad idea to spend that money on a machine that's not commercial.

I'd suggest looking at Bradley mowers OR seeing if you can find a clean used machine within budget. Don't be afraid of a walk behind.

Good luck!
in one of my other forums that is basically what we came to was used commercial or a walk behind or bradly would be best, but I don't think my mom could easily operate some of those options. I had a cheap belt drive 48 inch walk behind, that she tried once. she couldn't get the controls down and the thing ended up spinning in circles and i had to wrangle it.

·
Registered
456 Posts
"You get what you pay for" rings true when shopping for zero-turn mowers.

Go look at a used eXmark/Scag/Ferris zero-turn with your mom, and have both of you test-drive them. It will quickly align your perspectives to see that the big-box special's are in-fact, toys.

Spend $3,000 on a good used commercial mower. Put that spare $1,000 in a slush-fund for repairs. You'll be miles & years ahead. There is nothing so sophisticated on a mower, that a you-tube video & some curiosity can't fix. The only exceptions being perhaps rebuilding a Hydro, or an EFI system, and both are highly unlikely.

As others have said, don't rule out a good walk-behind either.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I looked at your profile to see your posting history. You’ve kinda meandering around from operating with a friend to looking for walk behind to what’s a good and cheap ztr for you and maybe your mom. What brought you to your current choice in the direction of a $4,000 ztr ? I’m not using the term meandering like it’s a bad thing, I can really get on some members nerves when I ask a zillion questions then head in a different route. Just a little concerned that one day it’s a business with a friend, probably a walk behind, then something else, now a ztr your mom can use. Are you totally sure that a ztr is where you are best to invest your $4k?
yeah the tough thing is getting something that checks the box for both getting into business and something that can be used by me or my mom. part of me wants to take her up on the HD or lowes special because it is not my money (she has offered to buy one and let me use it as something to mow lawns with) but I would hate to know that that is abusing it and continue to do that. I am trying to pool our money ( her 3-4 grand she is willing to buy something with, and my about 3 grand I could afford to put into something) and get something nicer for both of us in that 6 to 7 thousand dollar range that can take the beating of a few lawns that i pick up and her lawn.

part of me wants to spend money on a cheap used commercial ZTR, Walk behind or stand on for business and have her cheap one as a back up for her lot, but that would limit me to about 3 grand give or take 500 dollars.

I am not sure if that helps @Hurryupelectric and others to see where i am trying to go and my mindset. If not feel free to ask more questions and I will try to explain what I see in a better way for you all.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I am not sure if that helps @Hurryupelectric and others to see where i am trying to go and my mindset. If not feel free to ask more questions and I will try to explain what I see in a better way for you all.
It’s a good picture of where you’re at currently and points out to other members that you’ve altered your vision a time or two and there’s room for suggestions not yet considered.

·
Registered
456 Posts
What dealers do you have nearby? That's more important really than one particular brand that is "best." Shop for used mowers of those brands which the dealers carry. My guess is that your area in "New England" is flooded with used eXmark mowers that would make an excellent machine for you both, and for the properties nearby.

By contrast - When that big-box special breaks down, what will you all do for spare parts & service?

Let's focus on something else - Have you made up flyers yet to pass out?

·
Registered
56,838 Posts
yeah the tough thing is getting something that checks the box for both getting into business and something that can be used by me or my mom. part of me wants to take her up on the HD or lowes special because it is not my money (she has offered to buy one and let me use it as something to mow lawns with) but I would hate to know that that is abusing it and continue to do that. I am trying to pool our money ( her 3-4 grand she is willing to buy something with, and my about 3 grand I could afford to put into something) and get something nicer for both of us in that 6 to 7 thousand dollar range that can take the beating of a few lawns that i pick up and her lawn.

part of me wants to spend money on a cheap used commercial ZTR, Walk behind or stand on for business and have her cheap one as a back up for her lot, but that would limit me to about 3 grand give or take 500 dollars.

Take 6-7k and get an Exmark Radius series mower if you have that budget.

Worst case scenario is you hate mowing and decide that machine is to much for only your mom's property....so sell it and get your money back, then go to Lowe's and buy a residential unit for 3k.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What dealers do you have nearby? That's more important really than one particular brand that is "best." Shop for used mowers of those brands which the dealers carry. My guess is that your area in "New England" is flooded with used eXmark mowers that would make an excellent machine for you both, and for the properties nearby.

By contrast - When that big-box special breaks down, what will you all do for spare parts & service?

Let's focus on something else - Have you made up flyers yet to pass out?
you would be correct in guessing that my area is flooded with used exmark mowers. I see the same problems that you guys do, but I don't know how to get through to my mom who sees neighbors success with the big box mowers and decides that that will do. part of me wants to let her get that for her property and get a used commercial as my own machine to mow other lawns. even though she has given me permission to use her machine for other lawns, I know that when pieces wear out on in because of use she will try to point the finger at me.

My father who is an art major, helped me with doing flyers and putting together a list of services I can currently offer and I can grow into, so I am all set there.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Take 6-7k and get an Exmark Radius series mower if you have that budget.

Worst case scenario is you hate mowing and decide that machine is to much for only your mom's property....so sell it and get your money back, then go to Lowe's and buy a residential unit for 3k.
I can afford about half of the machine, so I kinda need to get my mom on board with the idea of splitting a heavier duty machine to get that. either that or I have to convince her that it is a good idea for me to go out and buy a machine. my parents think i am stupid for looking t machines with close to 1000 hours because that is a lot of hours, they think it is a better idea for me to start with a big box mower. and grow from there. I see what they see but at the same time I have done my reading on this site and others and have heard that for some it is a success but no matter what they are usually totally worn out after maybe a season or two.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I can afford about half of the machine, so I kinda need to get my mom on board with the idea of splitting a heavier duty machine to get that. either that or I have to convince her that it is a good idea for me to go out and buy a machine. my parents think i am stupid for looking t machines with close to 1000 hours because that is a lot of hours, they think it is a better idea for me to start with a big box mower. and grow from there. I see what they see but at the same time I have done my reading on this site and others and have heard that for some it is a success but no matter what they are usually totally worn out after maybe a season or two.
Maybe the two of y’all can “go in” on a nicer used commercial mower and you can “get her back” when you get established.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Maybe the two of y’all can “go in” on a nicer used commercial mower and you can “get her back” when you get established.
I suggested that to her and she said that she thinks it would be a terrible idea because there isn't really a good way to do a buy out when I want the whole machine. how would you value the her share of a machine that is depreciating? would I pay full original money back or would I pay the depreciated value of her share?

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I suggested that to her and she said that she thinks it would be a terrible idea because there isn't really a good way to do a buy out when I want the whole machine. how would you value the her share of a machine that is depreciating? would I pay full original money back or would I pay the depreciated value of her share?
Pay her back full, you’re going to be depreciating it. But, you will thank your lucky stars for her cub cadet when your eXmark is down.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts