• Bad Boy

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Gravely

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Ariens

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Husqvarna

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • other (explain your choice in a post please)

Votes: 2 12.5%
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
looking at the input that people are giving, I have a few questions:

1. what is an hour range that is safe to buy used in? in other words, when is that cap of too many hours to buy?

2. what are good start up pieces? I have looked at every type and size machine on facebook marketplace.

3. What size deck should I go with? A lot of our properties in this area can be 1-2 acres being that is it a farming area, but it also has 1/2 and 1/4 acre lots sprinkled in there ( neighbor hoods that are all raised ranches or one design houses built at the same time). I have kinda decide 44-52 inch will best suit me but I want to hear input from the experts on deck size and versatility

4. what are setups you guys started with past a push mower , and where are you all now? I want to know this as inspiration for where i can go and what i can do. also include property sizes serviced because that has a big factor in setup of equipment.

·
Registered
449 Posts
looking at the input that people are giving, I have a few questions:

1. what is an hour range that is safe to buy used in? in other words, when is that cap of too many hours to buy?

2. what are good start up pieces? I have looked at every type and size machine on facebook marketplace.

3. What size deck should I go with? A lot of our properties in this area can be 1-2 acres being that is it a farming area, but it also has 1/2 and 1/4 acre lots sprinkled in there ( neighbor hoods that are all raised ranches or one design houses built at the same time). I have kinda decide 44-52 inch will best suit me but I want to hear input from the experts on deck size and versatility

4. what are setups you guys started with past a push mower , and where are you all now? I want to know this as inspiration for where i can go and what i can do. also include property sizes serviced because that has a big factor in setup of equipment.
Our stories don't matter at all, other than all of us on here have in one way or another, basically boot-strapped our way into finding workable, affordable equipment, and then starting selling our services. (Or, sold first, bought equipment later.) Lawn & landscape isn't a get-rich-quick scheme. It requires work. You either have the money already (because you've already worked & saved) or you just get started and put in the work.

QUIT FOCUSING ON THE EQUIPMENT AND START FOCUSING ON SELLING. Every day that you post on here, is time lost that you could be selling & acquiring new accounts. Go get some accounts, and once you have a NEED for a mower, hurry and go buy one. Doesn't matter what type, what brand, what size, etc. When the time comes, decide, and act!

Plus, if you already have gained some accounts, and you NEED a mower, it may help convince your parents to loosen up with their permission some. Maybe they're hesitation is because they're judging how serious you're going to be.

SHOW THEM. QUIT WASTING TIME AND GO GET SOME BUSINESS! Get off lawnsite, get off your butt, and go sell. Ride your bike & pass out flyers if you have to. (Remember, the 1% rule. 1% of the flyers you pass out will turn into customers. 500 flyers = 5 customers.)

·
Registered
8,275 Posts
Every day that you post on here, is time lost that you could be selling & acquiring new accounts.
Well now that's just silly.
People need downtime, people need idea's, people need inspiration from others who have gone through starting up any business.
Spending even an hour daily on Lawnsite or other lawncare or business forums can be very beneficial. I've picked up countless ideas, strategies, etc.
Plus inspiration and a pat on the back does more good sometimes then 24/7 nose to grindstone.

·
Registered
17,821 Posts
It is a misconception to think that a person can't be simultaneously successful in business and active on lawnsite.

Gotta have balance in life. Too much of one thing or another is not good.

As the old saying goes- all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Well now that's just silly.
People need downtime, people need idea's, people need inspiration from others who have gone through starting up any business.
Spending even an hour daily on Lawnsite or other lawncare or business forums can be very beneficial. I've picked up countless ideas, strategies, etc.
Plus inspiration and a pat on the back does more good sometimes then 24/7 nose to grindstone.
What this young man needs is to GET STARTED.

Get the wheels turning, even slowly, then come back and check in, sure. But he needs to get moving.

I should know. I am the exact same way as him. Best thing for us types, is to GET UP AND GET MOVING. Ask me how i know.

·
Registered
17,821 Posts

Get the wheels turning, even slowly, then come back and check in, sure. But he needs to get moving.

I should know. I am the exact same way as him. Best thing for us types, is to GET UP AND GET MOVING. Ask me how i know.
I agree with you to a point.... however how do you know he isn't up and moving already?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·

you are 100% correct in the best thing to do is have wheels spinning. I am trying to figure out a mower that won't be a headache to deal with fixing things and time at the dealer. I also am looking to figure out what machines are under powered and I should never waste my time on. I also kinda need to figure out a sufficient mower to grow with. I have all my flyers and logo stuff done.

I am currently mowing the customers I have . I am dealing with an old lawnflite mower that i would say is late 80's or early 90's from what I could find. It is not the best but it is hydrostatic and has a 44 inch deck with electric deck lift. that brings me to the negatives.... It is an old old machine. getting parts for it will be a pain probably (luckily nothing has had to have parts ordered.... yet), and it doesn't run like it used to. right now it has this weird thing where i will be cruising along through the lawn and the blades will just cut out, i flip the lever for them down and then pull it back up and they come on at like half power. I suspect it is something binding in the deck or one of the springs is worn out so the tensioner doesn't always keep tension on the belt.

That is the main reason why I am looking at machine options, is to remove wear and tear from that machine. It is not built to handle 5 or 6 1 acre lots. also it is not as nimble or agile as a zero turn. I am looking at taking that step to get something better for the business. I have 8 grand in savings separate from a college fund, but that needs to also buy a decent truck with in a year so i have allocated 4 to 5 grand to buy some ranger or s10 or cheap suv. I allocated that money to a vehicle because I don't know how long it will take me to be able to make back the money I put into a machine, I also want to upgrade my power tools, buy more landscape tools and equipment, and buy more tools for my shop (I currently do all of the maintenance on equipment, along with a few project pieces of equipment).

·
Registered
449 Posts
You already have customers? That's a good thing.

Passed out those flyers yet? The longer you wait, the less likely to gain more customers. It's harder to gain customers later in the season.

If you already have customers, I'm not sure why your parents would be fighting you so hard on a mower. But again, I'm not trying to drive a wedge between you & them.

Look to see if you can get a vehicle load through a credit union. Even if you can afford to buy outright. It will help build credit for you.

Don't buy new tools if you can avoid it. Look for yardsales, marketplace, or even eBay.

But, don't get caught up in that stuff. Focus on MAKING money, and it will make the spending of money less stressful, and less important (to you.)

Also, if you haven't done so already, I suggest (2) books. They will serve you well in life.

#1 - How to win friends and influence people by Dale Carnegie.

#2 - The art of money getting by P.T. Barnum. This one is in the public domain, and can be downloaded.

Get to work ;)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
it is affordable and I could make it work, although it seems a bit small to mow acre lots with. That is far away from me and the logistics of getting it home would be tough, also the idea of buying it without being able to see it is not smart.

·
Registered
365 Posts
It's not just about the cheapness...
Looking at the votes I can clearly see others here have the same thoughts as I do, meaning you need dealer support at this stage in the game... Years and years down the road when you have your own parts department and a toolbox that only moves on wheels because it's so heavy, then you can consider all sorts of crazy machines but even then we tend to stick to the traditional, time proven brands.

So buying used, you want to go see your nearest (used brand) dealer and ask them if that's even something they would work on when it breaks down... There's a good chance, even if they say they will, that when something serious goes it will be the end of that machine if you don't know how to fix it yourself.

And buying new, same story so if you want dealer support then you'll have to buy from a dealer.

Those Home Depot machines just don't hold up to commercial use.
If all your mom's doing is her own yard that's fine, a few more here and there maybe but much more and it will start to break down, no question.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
It's not just about the cheapness...
Looking at the votes I can clearly see others here have the same thoughts as I do, meaning you need dealer support at this stage in the game... Years and years down the road when you have your own parts department and a toolbox that only moves on wheels because it's so heavy, then you can consider all sorts of crazy machines but even then we tend to stick to the traditional, time proven brands.

So buying used, you want to go see your nearest (used brand) dealer and ask them if that's even something they would work on when it breaks down... There's a good chance, even if they say they will, that when something serious goes it will be the end of that machine if you don't know how to fix it yourself.

And buying new, same story so if you want dealer support then you'll have to buy from a dealer.

Those Home Depot machines just don't hold up to commercial use.
If all your mom's doing is her own yard that's fine, a few more here and there maybe but much more and it will start to break down, no question.
I am really mechanically inclined. I have been working on lawn tractors and snow blowers and other small engines for a few years now. I have a garage bay at my mom's house that has my projects in it. I currently have a JD 210 in there that has a plow for it that will probably eventually be my beginner plow rig until i buy a HD truck or something that can handle a plow.

I am thinking about dealer support through this, knowing that if anything major happens that i will have to bring it in to a shop, but also knowing that I can do most of the service work and basic repairs on it. I have found a few exmark turf tracers for 2500 to 4500 dollars and I have heard good things about them. I have also found a hustler mini z with a 44 inch deck and a kawi for 3500 looks to be in good shape. I also found a kubota with about 150 hours on it for 3500 ish, I know nothing about kubota so if anyone runs kubota I would love to know what people have to say.

I am in northern ct if that helps at locating good stuff in my area for those that want to help about a half hour south of springfield mass. about a half hour to 45 minutes outside of hartford connecticut. some of you know what to look for in pictures and good machines so if any of you are looking hope that helps you get an area around me.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
you are 100% correct in the best thing to do is have wheels spinning. I am trying to figure out a mower that won't be a headache to deal with fixing things and time at the dealer. I also am looking to figure out what machines are under powered and I should never waste my time on. I also kinda need to figure out a sufficient mower to grow with. I have all my flyers and logo stuff done.

I am currently mowing the customers I have . I am dealing with an old lawnflite mower that i would say is late 80's or early 90's from what I could find. It is not the best but it is hydrostatic and has a 44 inch deck with electric deck lift. that brings me to the negatives.... It is an old old machine. getting parts for it will be a pain probably (luckily nothing has had to have parts ordered.... yet), and it doesn't run like it used to. right now it has this weird thing where i will be cruising along through the lawn and the blades will just cut out, i flip the lever for them down and then pull it back up and they come on at like half power. I suspect it is something binding in the deck or one of the springs is worn out so the tensioner doesn't always keep tension on the belt.

That is the main reason why I am looking at machine options, is to remove wear and tear from that machine. It is not built to handle 5 or 6 1 acre lots. also it is not as nimble or agile as a zero turn. I am looking at taking that step to get something better for the business. I have 8 grand in savings separate from a college fund, but that needs to also buy a decent truck with in a year so i have allocated 4 to 5 grand to buy some ranger or s10 or cheap suv. I allocated that money to a vehicle because I don't know how long it will take me to be able to make back the money I put into a machine, I also want to upgrade my power tools, buy more landscape tools and equipment, and buy more tools for my shop (I currently do all of the maintenance on equipment, along with a few project pieces of equipment).
in order to grow, I think I am going to need to upgrade my mower. at a certain point speed pays. I am looking to up my efficiency to be able to pick up more customers and know that I can reliably service them while also being a student and athlete. there is only so much daylight in a day.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I was told to get a walk behind when I was new here but I thought a stander would get more chicks. I just went and bought a walk last winter and my brand new stander has been sitting for months. My situation is unique with properties on the marsh and sandy soft soil overall but I wish I took the advice that a walk is the best first mower.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts