1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for new truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by jglawnmowing, Sep 19, 2007.

1. jglawnmowing

jglawnmowing LawnSite Member

I'm in the market for a new pick-up truck. I wanted to get the opinions of you guys and see what you thougth about a new vehicle for my business. Currently my business is made up of my brother and I. We have two trucks mine is a 1993 Ford F-150 with 151,000 miles and 5.0L motor with an automatic transmission, 2wd. My brother has a 1995 F-250 with 242,000 miles with a 7.3L and an automatic transmission with 4wd. The 1995 F-250 is starting to give my brother some issues. So I'm looking at replacing my vehicle the 1993 F-150. Our trailer weights around 3,000 pounds with all our equipment and is a 6x12 utility trailer. We do some mulch and topsoil usually around 2-4 cubic yards for our customer. I have talked to some other people and they have told me to upgrade to a 3/4 ton truck, because I recently have damaged the suspension with the F-150 by putting to much weight on it. We usually put around a total of 5,500 miles a year between our two vehicles for the business. I also use my truck for as my personal vehicle too and I put around 8,000 - 10,000 miles a year on it. My commute to my full time job is around 18 miles round trip, 5 days a week.
    Do you think I need a 3/4 or 1/2 ton truck?
    Which brand/model would you go with and why?
    Would you do gas or diesel?

If you have any questions let me know

2. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

If you do not plan to push snow and you are not going to be hauling more than 6,000 pounds or so I would save yourself some gas and just go with a 1/2 ton.

I am assuming you are looking to get brand new?

I am very happy with the setup in my sig, but time will tell. I just got finished researching for weeks before I purchased my truck and Toyota and Ford are the best out there IMO.

Go test drive the Toyota with the 5.7 engine and let us know what you think:clapping:

3. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a real Truck a F-250

4. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I got a 91 f 250 with 74,000 original miles with an ez-dump bed insert. Just put new u joints, throttle sensor, new computer, alternator and battery. Has a 5.8L motor that has a lot of power and will last a very long time. I'm selling it due to re injuring my back and got to have a second surgery in a few weeks so I won't be needed a second truck