Looking for "outcome predictions"

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Smokindog, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Smokindog

Smokindog LawnSite Senior Member

Over the past few months I resolved a sedge issue in one part of my yard using this product and documented it in another thread.
    https://www.domyown.com/agrisel-sulfentrazone-4f-herbicide-p-21369.html

My lawn in that area and another has had different looking grass patches that I had always just chalked up to the previous owner using "Sahara seed" that I found in the garage over top the 419.

However I noticed that these different colored/textured grasses seem to be affected by Sulfentrazone in the areas treated and died off (good news in my book).

With the help of some here we concluded that "other grass" was perhaps creeping Bentgrass as the application rate for Bermuda can be double that of Bentgrass.

So now to the reason for the post.

I decided what the heck. I've got at least 2 months growing season left (DFW area) and in the test patches I tried, the Bermuda rapidly began to reclaim the sprayed areas (just below max label rate for Bermuda as it's been hot here in North Texas, NO surfactant).

I sprayed about 4K feet a few days ago and the current state is shown in the picture. I'm rolling the dice that the Bermuda will recover most of the area before winter and/or a good mid-September application of Prodiamine will keep it "clean" until the Spring.

Just looking for thoughts about the potential outcome, positive ones if possible please :)

THANKS!
    20190824_095439.jpg

Notice the pattern similarities from when I scalped last year!

20180916_110411.jpg

And from the April 2019 green up and sprigging I did!

20190413_105144.jpg

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    sjessen and That Guy Gary like this.
  2. ltdlawn

ltdlawn LawnSite Gold Member

keep it mowed low and often... Keep the nitrogen flowing and it will creep over.

3. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Gold Member

Cockroaches won't be the only thing left after a nuclear holocaust, bermuda grass will still be around too.

sjessen, Cam15 and Smokindog like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Smokindog

You got that right. There was a section that the previous owner tried to convert to St. Augustine. It was looking good too except when I had the new retaining wall put in Spring of 18 I had them use Bermuda to match the rest of the front. There was about 1K ft that they didn't disrupt and left in St. Aug. I killed it when I did a spray with Quinclorac for crabgrass (intentional). It all came back to the original 419 in about 6 weeks without much work other than food, water, and Texas Sun :)

5. OP
    OP
    Smokindog

Well I'm VERY happy with how fast the recovery is going with my Bermuda. It's popping up all over in the "kill off" areas from the creeping bent. Cockroaches and Bermuda is right :)

QUESTION - We're still seeing great weather and I want to do everything I can to promote new growth and spreading. I've already given the entire lawn its pre-winter feeding. Other than potentially wasting fertilizer (and of course avoiding burn), would there be any harm in tossing down a light treatment of some 30-10-10 over the areas where I killed off the creeping bent to further encourage the Bermuda growth?

Cam15 likes this.
  6. That Guy Gary

I'd go with some of the ammonium sulfate, it's immediately available to the grass unlike urea.

Smokindog likes this.
  7. takervader

takervader LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Yeah, something immediately available, should be fine.

Smokindog likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Smokindog

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    That Guy Gary likes this.
  9. That Guy Gary

Urea is fast but still needs microbial help to be available to plants, 10-14 days before it'll really kick in.

Ammonium sulfate is immediate. Spread it, water it, plants take it in. I'd go for the AMS if you are concerned about having enough time for it to be effective.

sjessen and Smokindog like this.
  10. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Amen.

Smokindog likes this.