Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Lawnsite Members!

I'm 38 years old and live in the Northern Virginia area. This is my first post on this site and wanted to say hello and that I love the site and enjoyed reading some of the threads. I'm not in the business of landscaping, however I do find myself always riding through the neighborhoods taking pictures of people landscaping projects for ideas. Landscaping is something that I love but have a hard time figuring it out for myself.

The question that I have is regarding privacy screening in my backyard. I have two neighbors on ether side of me that I would like to block out just a little. Looking from the rear of the house, the neighbor to my right has a bright white fence, and the neighbor to my lift has no fence at all. What do you guys and girls recommend me add to give me a little screening other than a fence?

I know I can do a search but I wanted to add a picture for those that wanted to chime in with their ideas.

Thx in advance!
Mike

Plant Tree Land lot Landscape Grassland

Plant Tree Grass Natural landscape Groundcover

Plant Fence Tree Land lot Wood

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I'll design a great privacy accent but it will cost you $150.00 non-refundable. I will give you 3 ideas professionaly drawn up (by me). Pm me if interested, rest assured we do designs all the time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll design a great privacy accent but it will cost you $150.00 non-refundable. I will give you 3 ideas professionaly drawn up (by me). Pm me if interested, rest assured we do designs all the time.
Thanks nobagger but I really wasn't looking for a full blown design. However if I change my mind I will look you up!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Row of Rhododendron maximum (Great Rhododendron) along the back where the wall is, up above it. These will get TALL, (up to 20'), very thick almost impassable, and have beautiful white flowers.
Maybe some Thuja occidentalis (Arborvitae), or Malus (Apple), Prunus (Cherry, Peach, etc), Pyrus (Pear) along the fence. These will give the added benefit of having a purpose! Plant them at least 6' from the fence, 8'-10' if your comfortable with that? Gives them more breathing room and less worries of interfering with the fence.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Row of Rhododendron maximum (Great Rhododendron) along the back where the wall is, up above it. These will get TALL, (up to 20'), very thick almost impassable, and have beautiful white flowers.
Maybe some Thuja occidentalis (Arborvitae), or Malus (Apple), Prunus (Cherry, Peach, etc), Pyrus (Pear) along the fence. These will give the added benefit of having a purpose! Plant them at least 6' from the fence, 8'-10' if your comfortable with that? Gives them more breathing room and less worries of interfering with the fence.
Wow thx BostonBull! I really do appreciate the feedback and look forward to looking into your ideas. BTW the wall in the first picture is on a neighbors property. I drew a red line to show where my property line stops. My back yard is not that big. I live on about a 1/3 of an acre. Also just before the red line is where I want or plan to put screening on that side of the yard.

Plant Tree Land lot Grass Landscape

·
Registered
523 Posts
In that case I would do the Rhodies out back still, plant them farther back, it will give them a wild natural look. Space them out.

As for the red line, plant some Ligstrum japonicum (Japanese Privet). it can get to 20 feet, if allowed, is easy to maintain, and is almost impossible to kill. Plant 2' off the border, and put down mulch with some annuals or even small perennial flowers on your side to break up the boring look of a line of shrubs. This will most likely be your cheapest option as well.

You could also do some different types of perennial grasses (Zebra Grass!), and some flowering perennials (Hydrangea).

Good Luck!

·
Registered
428 Posts
yeah I like the privet myself as a screen. If you want a taller screen-here we use Japanese Cryptomeria. Also Leyland Cypress (but I lean against the leylands as they are problematic in the long run). Illeagnus (~spelling) is also a very invasive, but good screen. If I were you, I would focus LESS on one plant species to "block" instead groupings that will give you privacy over time. Probably "anchor" plants on each end-being taller, and smaller, hedge-like stuff in the middle with larger plants thrown in there and stepping down to smaller stuff--sorry if that seems vague, but w/o a plan it's harder to explain in type.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah I like the privet myself as a screen. If you want a taller screen-here we use Japanese Cryptomeria. Also Leyland Cypress (but I lean against the leylands as they are problematic in the long run). Illeagnus (~spelling) is also a very invasive, but good screen. If I were you, I would focus LESS on one plant species to "block" instead groupings that will give you privacy over time. Probably "anchor" plants on each end-being taller, and smaller, hedge-like stuff in the middle with larger plants thrown in there and stepping down to smaller stuff--sorry if that seems vague, but w/o a plan it's harder to explain in type.
You mean something like this?

Attachments

·
Registered
523 Posts
Heres what you could do. Put up a black vinyl chain link fence the whole way down the line. Then plant the Ligustrum (Privet), Buxus (Boxwood), or whatever you choose down that fence. Leave 5' gaps here and there and throw in some flowering Perennials maybe Hydrangea/Spirea/? Maybe some Ornamental grasses like Zebra grass? Then leave 2-3 15'-20' gaps in the hedge for some ornamental or fruit trees. By doing this you will break up the monotony of the hedge. The fence will keep everything separate and give a backdrop to your gaps and the neighbors side wont be as ugly. Don't forget to mulch 3"-4" deep the WHOLE way! This will also add to the look of things.

I hope that makes sense?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
STRINGALATION, BostonBull, and ericmcj31 Thank you guys very much for all your hard work and wealth of knowledge; I really do appreciate it! I understand what you guys are saying and think they all are great ideas. STRINGALATION, thanks again for the drawing, it really do help me to understand what needs to be done. Thx!

Guys again thank you very much for your help.:usflag:

Mike

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.