Looking for recommendations on a mower for residentials

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Deerfarmer, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Deerfarmer

Deerfarmer LawnSite Member

im looking to start some sort of lawn/landscape service and wanted to see what ppl like for mowers. I DO NOT want to spend a lot of money right away on a mower maybe a grand or two at the very most. Most of the lawns will be residentials with a few commercials I can lock in right away from my snow removal contracts. Im thinking a rider would be nice but I’ve seen the walkbehinds look pretty neat and you can get into tight spots better since there’s a shorter wheel base? Not sure if I’d even be able to buy the back wheels with my budget. Prob need a push mower. Is a 36” prob the best size to get through any gates I may encounter?

Do most ppl want the yard bagged also? I need to keep that in mind to when buying a mower. Here’s a pic of a walk behind I though was pretty slick. 651D3C95-E972-4392-846A-B65BCF3BFD21.png

2. Rockbridge Lawn Care LLC

Rockbridge Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member

rule #1 buy the equipment that services your average client the best...your talking about residentials and commercials....what is the physical variances in property sizes...or what is the average square feet you have to mow per property? I'm only guessing your residential lot is 5,000 sq ft, and a small commercial is 80,000 sqft...

TO do both you need both types of equipment...which requires more money!

I'm fairly confident you would loose money on 80K sq ft with a 36" mower if your at the average price point....and with the same tolken a 60" rider has a very high chance of tearing turf and accidents on the little 5,000 sqft postage lot residential....I would consider a 36" deck to be "big" on 5,000 sqft turf IMHO....

If you questioning the price between a rider or walk behind you really need to sit down and evaluate the client base...

city gates and chain link fences are usually 36" post to post...so your commercial 36" deck mower may not fit unless you have sufficient space to drive it in diagonally if the unit has the slanted deck type of design... in which case a 30" push mower would be VASTLY more versatile and cheaper....again say "NO" to clients that are not like your average. THIS sometimes means saying no to gated back yards...or NO to commercial properties if your biggest deck is a 36...... Create or find that market niche'

also.....the mower picture you posted is a $6,000 machine....FYI.... a belt drive 36" mower is still $3,500 out the door

RULE #2:
    Lock in the accounts NOW buy the mowing equipment in the spring, or after you lock enough accounts to cover your return on investment: AKA-mower payment

Rule #3 Lock in the accounts Now

Rule #4 Get the accounts NOW then get the equipment

Rule #5
    Any ****** can buy equipment, a business buys the best equipment it can afford

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 2:24 PM
  3. Deerfarmer

Thank you for the reply. So the commercial lots i feel I can lock in are small 1acer lots about. Dollar store lots. They also don’t come out with contracts till late March I think it is. I plan on talking to my snow removal client in the beginning of nxt year sometime. Thanks

4. Rockbridge Lawn Care LLC

I would encourage you to measure the net turf area you are mowing, not the "lot" size as with commercial store fronts as their lot might be 4 acres, but 2 acres is parking, a 35K sq building and 20k sqft of mulch beds/trees in which your only mowing 25K sq ft or 1/2 an acre in which is push mowing territory...esp. if that includes parking lot islands...

Doc8406 likes this.
  5. Deerfarmer

The grass is about 1 acre I’d say maybe a little more to be on the safe side. There isn’t very much there. Maybe a 20 min cut taking your time?

6. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

If you want to bag small yards solo I’d get a walker

No question about it

Deerfarmer likes this.
  7. Rockbridge Lawn Care LLC

um no a 36" mower will take about 48-50 minutes to mow an acre...

Doc8406 likes this.
  8. Deerfarmer

Yea I’m use to a 60” mower I guess

9. Deerfarmer

So is there some sort of an equation to figure out the size of mower and the time it takes or is that what it take you to do it?? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

10. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

You can google it
    But yes
    There’s an equation

Width times speed
    Gives you area covered per hour
    Modify down for turning and obstacles
    You get the idea...

Deerfarmer likes this.