1. Site Upgrade Planned for Next Week!

LawnSite community,

As you know, we continually look for ways to enhance your experience on LawnSite and always try to make the site better, with more enhanced features and capabilities, and improved navigation so you can easily find the information that you’re looking for. So, the time has come for another software/site upgrade to a newer version of our platform. Once the upgrade is complete, we’re planning on making additional changes that will significantly improve upon your experience on LawnSite.

The upgrade is planned for early next week, with additional features being rolled out in the weeks and months ahead. As always, we welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for some advice on Dethatching.

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by ashpalet, May 21, 2020.

1. ashpalet

ashpalet LawnSite Member

Hi there,

Let me start by saying that I have no idea about lawn or lawn care. I've been trying to read up as much as I can and am looking for some advice.
    I recently moved into a new house which was seeded last October. The growth has been uneven and I've noticed some thatch in spots across the lawn. I'm planning on dethatching it, followed by weed and feed and seeding. Followed by aeration and seeding in the fall. Is this a correct approach?

Also, I've looked into dethatcher rentals and am confused by the available options flail vs spring tine. How do I pick the right one for my needs?

Thx.

20200507_171955 (Large).jpg

20200514_110241 (Large).jpg

20200514_110537 (Large).jpg

20200514_110546 (Large).jpg

20200521_165320 (Large).jpg

2. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Senior Member

My thoughts are since this lawn is so new instead of detatching use a backpack blower to stand up the thatch and then sow in new seed. Using a flail type dethatcher might end up ripping up too much of the new grass and leaving you worse off. If you have thatch buildup already then whoever started this project didn't put any effort into it so its up to you and your effort to do better.

ashpalet likes this.
  3. Crazy 4 grass

Crazy 4 grass LawnSite Platinum Member

Some of those areas most likey will bounce back, your lawn probably isnt completely out of dormancy and growing yet. It also looks dry.

Try to thicken up what you do have by watering and fertilizing. Water once a week deeply all season. Then see how it looks at the end of August. Seed in beginning of September if needed.

How big is your lawn?

4. OP
    OP
    ashpalet

ashpalet LawnSite Member

thx.
    I have been watering the lawn every 2 weeks. Dont mind bumping it up to every week.

Its almost 12-15k sq ft. Do I get rid of dead grass or leave it as is?

5. Crazy 4 grass

I'd put some fertilizer down. Then water your lawn more, ideally you want an inch of water per week. Give it a few weeks and see how it looks. The good may crowd out the bad.

Do you have an irrigation system?

6. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Gold Member

You don't have thatch. What your looking at is just clippings. That grass is way too young and tender for a de-thatching machine. You would do more damage than good. Irrigation is what you need. 20200521_165320 (Large).jpg

Mark Oomkes and starry night like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    ashpalet

ashpalet LawnSite Member

Yes, I do.

8. OP
    OP
    ashpalet

ashpalet LawnSite Member

thx.

9. Crazy 4 grass

Put a bunch of tuna cans or something similar out in your lawn randomly spaced.

Run your irrigation and time it until you have an inch of water in the cans.

This time result is how long you want to set your zones for. You can do it either all at once once a week, or split it in half twice a week. I think of you do this and put some fertilizer down your lawn is really going to like it.

Of course with the fertilizer ensure you read the label carefully and use the recommended amount evenly distributed.

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Whew...excellent advice.

Looks like ryegrass, so you'll likely always be working to have a deep green color.

IMO it's also extremely undernourished. Doesn't look like nearly enough starter fert was applied often enough.

OP, is the ground hard when you walk on it? I'm guessing an aeration would be very beneficial as well.

Crazy 4 grass likes this.