looking for suggestions

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by topdog, Jul 27, 2005.

  1. topdog

    topdog LawnSite Member
    from indiana
    Messages: 205

    i had a customer call me today asking if i could install some mulch/pea gravel around her child's tree house/play area.

    she is wanting to put a picnic table in there, and make it a nice little area for the kids.

    it will be roughly 1500 sg. ft. estimating it at 3 inches.

    i was wanting to see if any of you know how i could find about about the safer rubber type ground covers made for playgrounds. i havn't had any luck finding anyone locally to help.

    i want to give here 3 estimates on it one for mulch/pea gravel, and the rubber stuff. i feel the rubber will be more what she wants as long as we can get it here, and the price isn't over the top.

    thanks for your help.
  2. turfcobob

    turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 878

    ARe you insured for this type of work? When the kid falls out of the toys and breaks an arm and the mother decides to sue, what ya gonna do? Be careful here your in an area you may not want to be in.

    If it were me I would thank them and try to guide them to someone who does playground equipment installations.

    I don't do nuthin my insurance carrier won't let me do...

  3. Scag48

    Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,067

    Yeah, that may be true, but he's installing a GROUNDCOVER not the toys themselves, don't see how he's liable if a kid falls and lands on a soft, cushioned area.
  4. topdog

    topdog LawnSite Member
    from indiana
    Messages: 205

    well, i do have insurance, but i am only putting down ground cover, and some edgeing. oh, and also building a picnic table.
    i live in a rural type area, so i was just trying to find some info on the safer rubber type ground covers. my plan is to give the customer a few different choices of materials is all, but thanks for that always positive attitude...hehe
  5. Evergreenpros

    Evergreenpros LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,154

    Most playground equipment I've seen has sand as groundcover.
  6. impactlandscaping

    impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,332

    Try Rubberific ..it's about 8-10X the cost of mulch or stone. Have you looked into hardwood chips from a local sawmill? That's what we use a lot in playground areas. They are about the size of your thumbnail, and are pretty smooth with no jagged edges. Best of all ,they break down a lot slower than shredded barks. A nice 8" or deeper depth makes a nice cushiony landing for little kids.
  7. Turfco2

    Turfco2 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 3

    If they really wanted me to do it here is what i would do.

    Have them sign a disclaimer that my co. would not be responsible for any injuries on the installation after i am done.

    I would then put down a good base of sand up to 10 inches. Then I would get some rubber playground matting from Menards, Home Depot or one of them that give contractors discounts. We have a Menards and they have the interlocking mat for playgrounds.

    But, I would want to stay clear of any sue happy parents. They may be all hugs to begin with but let a kid get hurt and a lawyer get in it and it is trouble.


Share This Page