• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

Looking for suggestions!

superiorlc

LawnSite Member
Long story short..

I was talking with an old high school acquaintance. Whom was saying he has owned his lawn business for about 4 years now (same as me) and has around 400 lawn accounts. I'm thinking man thats a lot. well, for me thats a lot!! (compared to my 60 lawns). he was saying how he just advertised in the same areas/neighborhoods year after year and charged low prices. His average lawn was 17 dollars, which is cheap! a lot lower than my average. He had two 3 men crew who took care of all 400 houses. From what he says, he doesn't even work himself and still makes over $100,000 just in mowing. I assume these lawns have to be super close for a 3 men crew to do 200 lawns a week. Like I said, it seems a lot but i don't know thats just me. Doing the math.. 400 lawns x $17 per lawn is $6800 per week. Although I know that is not bring home, thats a lot of money. That is $27,200 a month (4 weeks). Depending on when he starts and finishes his season, for him to make $100,000.. he'd have to start the last week of april and ends the last week of Oct. (which is my season as well) If I'm right, thats a 27 week season (6 and 3/4 months). He'd have to bring home $15,000 a month, (every 4 for weeks) and pays $12,200 for employees and expenses. With me being a 24 years old, I wouldn't mind making that kind of money or somewhere around that amount. This seems to be an interesting/profitable idea, what am I not understanding? What do you think?

chipk1

LawnSite Senior Member
Long story short..

I was talking with an old high school acquaintance. Whom was saying he has owned his lawn business for about 4 years now (same as me) and has around 400 lawn accounts. I'm thinking man thats a lot. well, for me thats a lot!! (compared to my 60 lawns). he was saying how he just advertised in the same areas/neighborhoods year after year and charged low prices. His average lawn was 17 dollars, which is cheap! a lot lower than my average. He had two 3 men crew who took care of all 400 houses. From what he says, he doesn't even work himself and still makes over $100,000 just in mowing. I assume these lawns have to be super close for a 3 men crew to do 200 lawns a week. Like I said, it seems a lot but i don't know thats just me. Doing the math.. 400 lawns x $17 per lawn is $6800 per week. Although I know that is not bring home, thats a lot of money. That is $27,200 a month (4 weeks). Depending on when he starts and finishes his season, for him to make $100,000.. he'd have to start the last week of april and ends the last week of Oct. (which is my season as well) If I'm right, thats a 27 week season (6 and 3/4 months). He'd have to bring home $15,000 a month, (every 4 for weeks) and pays $12,200 for employees and expenses. With me being a 24 years old, I wouldn't mind making that kind of money or somewhere around that amount. This seems to be an interesting/profitable idea, what am I not understanding? What do you think?
What do you do when your crew does not show up for work????? 17.00 per lawn???? 200 lawns per crew a week??? What is this a trailer park?? Does add up!

clean_cut

LawnSite Bronze Member
Hmm, I'm not sure of the idea of doing lots of cheap yards, what do some other guys think, as long as they're in the same area is it a good idea?

N.TX

LawnSite Senior Member
I have seen some neighborhoods that the yards are small enough to make good money charging that but around here for the most part you cant get close to that or you would go broke. The kind of yards hes doing probably take the 3 man crew about 6-9 min a piece and probably around 2000k sq ft or less worth of grass.

Bob_n_weave

LawnSite Senior Member
$17 a yard :laugh: Must be Trailor Park yards.

N.TX

LawnSite Senior Member
Dude ... it very well could be trailer park yards but it also could be expensive homes. There are some areas close to here that have huge houses on small lots and most of the backyards are taken up by pools and landscaping.

freshcut419

LawnSite Member
What do you do when your crew does not show up for work????? 17.00 per lawn???? 200 lawns per crew a week??? What is this a trailer park?? Does add up!
15,000 - 12,200 is only $2800 per month tha is not good money even to a 24 year old is it ? Plus paying for gas new mowers / truck /trailers and parts leave nothing left over??

N.TX

LawnSite Senior Member
400*17 = approx 6800 a week which = approx 27k per month
$27000 Per month
- $12000 Labor
- $ 2800 Trucks, Small Shop, Insurance
- $ 1000 Equipment & Repairs
- $ 1200 Fuel

$10,000 a month before personal taxes.
He should bring in at least that and you can figure he works closer to 9-10 months out of the year doing spring and fall cleanups. I wouldn't doubt if hes making it along ok although even if he is he is leaving money on the table.

MikeKle

LawnSite Platinum Member
If he has 400 accounts and is only bringing in $100K, something is wrong somewhere?!!! I really doubt he has that many with only a 2 man crew also, The large lawn care companies around here have around 250-350 mowing accounts and they have 3-4 crews going out! And some of these companies are bringing in close to 3 million a year!!! HE has 400 and brings in $100K, I do not buy it, especially after just 4 years in business, He wouldve had to be one lucky guy to get that many new accounts that quickly!

OP
S

superiorlc

LawnSite Member
I have seen some neighborhoods that the yards are small enough to make good money charging that but around here for the most part you cant get close to that or you would go broke. The kind of yards hes doing probably take the 3 man crew about 6-9 min a piece and probably around 2000k sq ft or less worth of grass.
Very true, we (my brother and I) have 5 lawn accounts that are on the same street and it takes us about 50 mins to complete them. We have two 48' mowers.. he does front yards, I do the back yards. He weed whips, I edge.( bi-weekly it takes us about 40 mins due to not edging.) and we both blow.

Last edited: