Looking for the ultimate software.....

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by brookline, Aug 11, 2017.

1. brookline

brookline LawnSite Senior Member

So I have checked out many software programs to run my business. I'm getting tired of having a bunch of different apps and software programs to do different things. Currently I have Clock Shark for Time Sheets, OnPay for Payroll, Linxup for fleet tracking, Lawn Pro for scheduling and estimating which does incorporate cc processing through email invoicing with PayPal. I have looked at LMN but it is a closer fit but not exact. Basically I want to streamline my bidding processes (LMN does that) so our bids are more accurate when other employees bid a job, track expenses and receipts, timekeeping, payroll, accounting, maintenance schedules, job schedules and pictures/blueprints, tracking job times etc. Is there anything out there that I am overlooking that can be the all in one solution instead of the constant multiple platforms?

2. grass man 11

grass man 11 LawnSite Member

Service Autopilot does a lot

But there is no one program that will run all specs of the business. If there was, I doubt you would want to know the cost. Jack of all trades and master of none, also applies to software

3. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Real green
    Don't ask the cost
    Dynascape manage 360
    Don't ask the price

4. grass man 11

grass man 11 LawnSite Member

Even those don't do everything perfectly. They all have weakness in one area or another.

5. snomaha

snomaha LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

We made the decision three years ago to develop our own software (CRM, scheduling, reporting, etc) because we couldn't find an off the shelf solution that got us more then 80% where we wanted to be. After a tremendous amount of money and time we have working software that is good - not great or anywhere near what we had envisioned.

We made the mistake of developing off a wish list instead of a need list - you start to feel like Henry Ford and think you can automate everything - you can't and don't need to. Don't think that there is that silver bullet software solution out there that is going to do everything you want.

6. BrendonTW

BrendonTW LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Oklahoma City

We have talked before about some of the things you have in your software. I was wondering, did you ever look at Boss LM prior to developing your own?

7. snomaha

snomaha LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

We were with Qxpress before switching to our own. Off the top of my head - real green, hind site are two that come to mind the office demoed - don't think Boss LM was one of them?

8. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Because you have any experience at all using or even testing them right?

Put down the trade magazines and stop armchairing with your amazing lack of experience.

9. BrendonTW

Male, from Oklahoma City

@TPendagast

Have you ever seen Boss LM in use in your experience working for big companies?

From my outside view Boss LM seems like the top of the pile but I really don't have any ground to stand on saying this besides it just seems like it, lol. They don't market the software hardly at all from what I can tell - and the only way to get a look at it is to talk to a rep to first see if it's a good fit. I know it's very expensive. I believe it is $1500 per month for the first 3 months which includes in-person training. Then it starts at $900 per month after that and increases as a percentage with $ billed out of the software.

10. BrendonTW

Male, from Oklahoma City

I started with qXpress but quickly decided to stop learning how to use it when I realized that the developer didn't offer support anymore.

We then used paper and excel for a long time before we switched to clip for 1 year. Robust but far too glitchy.

Using hindsite now, this is year 1. Also fairly robust. Lacks in its ability to generate custom reports and the reports they include aren't numerous. Which was the biggest letdown from clip but at least hindsite works really well. Support is also top notch, and functionality is pretty good. Just have to learn how to make the software work how we want it to. That's the downside of using another companies software. But it's workable after you use it for a season. Just takes time to learn.

I would suggest picking a software and sticking with it for a year or two. It's expensive, time consuming, and frustrating to switch. Only reason we switched from clip after 1 year was because certain functions literally didn't work.