1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Looking for VACUUM EQUIPMENT

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by Patti24, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Patti24

Patti24 LawnSite Member

Hi! I am just starting a small business & I'm looking for vacuum equipment (and/or parts) that can be used to pick up horse manure in the field, I currently own a Tennant ATLV4300 - (looking for a vacuum head replacement), and a Smithco 60" Sweepstar sweeper vac (that I will be listing for sale on here soon). Works great...except the rubber fingers pull out too much grass...and I can't do that to client's pastures!! So, I am looking for something used that has: a high lift dump, good capacity in the hopper, a separate wander hose, drive-on model, diesel preferred but not necessary,. It needs to have good vacuum power with a floating vacuum head that moves with the terrain. A flat 'scoop-like' vacuum head (like a flattened funnel on it's side) is the kind of vacuum head that would be best, but my diesel mechanic friends can alter pretty much anything if needed!!
    It CAN have brushes ...as long as the brushes don't need to be engaged for the vacuum to work. The model I am most interested in is the Harper TV30 or TV35. I'm also considering Nilfisk-Advance RS850 Street sweepers & Madvac Steet Sweepers. If you have any of these, or Tennant ATLV4300 parts (or the entire machine) or any other pieces of ride-on equipment that you think would be suitable for picking up horse manure in the fields (and using the wander hose in stalls), please let me know! OR if you can suggest any good websites where I might find equipment or used parts (turf/golf course equipment auctions etc.). I am on a pretty tight budget since I have the other two machines that I am using until I can find a different one, and I don't want to be behind the eightball and be in debt before I get my client base established and build some equity in my company, so price will be a factor, but let me know what you've got!! Thanks everyone! Patti

2. Smith Lawn & Landscaping

Smith Lawn & Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I've never heard of this service before, sounds like you need to invent something to your specs.

3. Patti24

Patti24 LawnSite Member

Hi! Well....actually...this is something that is done a lot in Britain/Scotland/Ireland. There are a few companies over there that make specific equipment for this...but the cost of shipping it overseas is just too much. Companies are Terra-Vac, Paddock Vac etc. Most horse owners in the U.S. and Canada just drag their fields/paddocks if they have 25+ acres, but nowadays there are more & more small hobby farms that are 5 acres or less. With this amount of land, most owners pick up the manure by hand (believe it or not!!) It's incredibly time consuming, but if you don't do it, your horses don't have anywhere to eat! More importantly though is that current research (from Equine based schools like the University of Kentucky & Vanderbilt) are proving that when manure is not picked up, parasites are re-entering the soil and can remain there for at least 5 years. (Even manure that has been composted for over a year and respread on fields). Horses are reingesting the parasites, so owners are de-worming more frequently, which, in turn, has led parasites to become resistant, and the cycle becomes even more ingrained. With more and more parasites surviving in the body, even de-worming has started killing horses because of high amount of toxins released when the parasites are killed off. So as this research disseminates and people learn more about this issue, more & more people are going to be picking up manure. Hence the idea for my business! I just need to win the lottery so I can buy a brand new Harper TV35 (for a mere $90,000 CAN)!!!LOL...But until then, I'll have to work with what I can find! If you hear of anything, please let me know! Thanks! Patti

4. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

I know Muck-Truck makes an attachment for their wheelbarrow but it may be too small for what your doing. Heck they may not sell that attachement in the us either.

https://www.mucktruck.com/accessories/

5. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

6. Patti24

Patti24 LawnSite Member

Hi Brandon! Thanks for your suggestion. I've looked at these before, but yes, the hopper capacity is much too small for what I need and I want a vacuum head as well as the separate wander hose option. Getting on & off a machine (or walking behind like this one) would be too time-consuming - I need it to be as fast and efficient as possible! Thanks for your input though, and if you have any other ideas or hear of something for sale, I would appreciate it if you could let me know. Thanks! Patti

7. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

In usa you're most likely to find a toro rake-o-vac. Mostly used on golf courses. That'd probably do the job. Call around to some golf equipment suppliers. In ohio its century equipment. Sometimes they come up on govdeals.com etc. Too.

8. Patti24

Patti24 LawnSite Member

Okay, thanks. I have given these machines some consideration, but the issue I run into with them is the same as other sweepers...the brushes, or rubber fingers have to be set low to the ground to ensure that all the manure is picked up and not smeared. However, that tears out too much grass- especially if it is longer, which happens when the horses eat around it. I can't be tearing out client's pastures... so I didn't think the Rake-o-vac would work.
    But...I've never driven one or looked at one in person...so do you think it might work?
    Has it got a 'vacuum head' per se that would travel on the ground and 'scoop' the manure up? Can the brushes be raised and lowered to any height? I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts...and if you have any close up pictures or videos of the machine in action, that would be great too! Thanks! Patti

9. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I don't have any pictures. My vac is a giant vac tow behind. It just has a 72 inch suction hood. The rake-o-vac has suction followed by a rotating brush. I'm sure its adjustable, theyre made for golf courses almost exclusively, so tearing out grass would be unacceptable. There are also machines that pick up aeration cores that would do well in your application too I would think.

10. Patti24

Patti24 LawnSite Member

Thanks! Yes...my dream machine is a Harper TV35!