Looking for Walk Behind Recommendations

ICEPICKJAZZ

LawnSite Member
I'm looking to upgrade my 21" Toro mulching push mower with possibly an entry level walk behind 36-48" wide. I want reduce my mowing time. The yard is about .6 acres extremely healthy KBG cut at 3.5-4" and I prefer to mulch as much as possible and I seldom bag. My backyard is large & flat, but my front is small & slopes. I have tried a riding mower in the past, but it was too big to maneuver and it took a long time to get the angles right, so i went back to push mower. My yard is extremely healthy thick bluegrass and I prefer to mulch as much as possible. My neighbor has a JD Residential ZTR and I borrowed it once. I didn't like how much it tore up the grass (operator error) and I think that ZTR might not be stable enough on the front and they are pricey as well.

I'm value oriented and look for the best bang for the buck. I don't need top of the line. I've thought about the Bradley 36" walk behind but looking for other opinions. All my neighbors use lawn services, and that would be less expensive for me. However; I don't like the results. Those services don't sharpen the blades enough and grass is torn rather than cut and turns white. I also don't care for the side discharge because it sprays long clippings back in the yard.

Thanks for the assistance

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
I'm looking to upgrade my 21" Toro mulching push mower with possibly an entry level walk behind 36-48" wide. I want reduce my mowing time. The yard is about .6 acres extremely healthy KBG cut at 3.5-4" and I prefer to mulch as much as possible and I seldom bag. My backyard is large & flat, but my front is small & slopes. I have tried a riding mower in the past, but it was too big to maneuver and it took a long time to get the angles right, so i went back to push mower. My yard is extremely healthy thick bluegrass and I prefer to mulch as much as possible. My neighbor has a JD Residential ZTR and I borrowed it once. I didn't like how much it tore up the grass (operator error) and I think that ZTR might not be stable enough on the front and they are pricey as well.

I'm value oriented and look for the best bang for the buck. I don't need top of the line. I've thought about the Bradley 36" walk behind but looking for other opinions. All my neighbors use lawn services, and that would be less expensive for me. However; I don't like the results. Those services don't sharpen the blades enough and grass is torn rather than cut and turns white. I also don't care for the side discharge because it sprays long clippings back in the yard.

Thanks for the assistance

Hire a lawn service and tell them you want to be bagged

That will solve your issue with “long clippings”

But honestly you think you know something you don’t.
You’re being your own worst enemy with this lawn thing.

Find the guy who had the best lawn in your neighborhood, hire his guy and request bagging

sailfish27

LawnSite Senior Member
Or if you like the grass mulched request whoever's doing the service to go over it twice in opposite directions. This will grind the clippings up small and give you a better look. Another option is ask to have the first cut mulched and second bagged. Kind of best of both worlds, you get a nice clean look with the benefit of leaving some clippings for fertilizer.

This is standard operating procedure for professional companies. In my neck of the woods, what you describe we would call hackers.

Greencuts518

LawnSite Fanatic
I'm buying mulching gator blades for my 36 Bradley and using side discharge as I've heard that's what works best for this mower. It's a 90's design so I don't remember commercial mowers having mulching decks back then. I've heard the mulching plate doesn't work so hot. Maybe you should get a hydro as the belt drives aren't the best for slopes. I won't even mow hill lawns anymore.

Last edited:
OP
I

ICEPICKJAZZ

LawnSite Member
Hire a lawn service and tell them you want to be bagged

That will solve your issue with “long clippings”

But honestly you think you know something you don’t.
You’re being your own worst enemy with this lawn thing.

Find the guy who had the best lawn in your neighborhood, hire his guy and request bagging
Admittedly i'm not up to speed on the Lawn Mowing Services and their options. But it hard for me to give up control and and haven't been happy the quality and lack of attention to detail from the lawn service companies I have seen. I'm reaching out to some lawnservices for quotes and letting them know what I want/expect.

I am that guy with one of the best lawns in the neighborhood and am continually asked who does my lawn. They are disappointed when they learn I do it myself. It takes a lot of time (which I don't really have anymore) to approximate the look of commercial wide deck mower using a push mower with striper on it. However it does give me satisfaction. I mentioned to my wife that i was now thinking about hiring a lawn service, and she said I would never be happy and should just keep doing it myself, just find ways to do it more quickly.

Will see where this goes. Checking lawn services and perhaps thinking that maybe used walk behind might be a good option.

DXN1EL

LawnSite Silver Member
With a 32 mower even if you side discharge and have to go over twice would be faster than using a 21

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Admittedly i'm not up to speed on the Lawn Mowing Services and their options. But it hard for me to give up control and and haven't been happy the quality and lack of attention to detail from the lawn service companies I have seen. I'm reaching out to some lawnservices for quotes and letting them know what I want/expect.

I am that guy with one of the best lawns in the neighborhood and am continually asked who does my lawn. They are disappointed when they learn I do it myself. It takes a lot of time (which I don't really have anymore) to approximate the look of commercial wide deck mower using a push mower with striper on it. However it does give me satisfaction. I mentioned to my wife that i was now thinking about hiring a lawn service, and she said I would never be happy and should just keep doing it myself, just find ways to do it more quickly.

Will see where this goes. Checking lawn services and perhaps thinking that maybe used walk behind might be a good option.

So key words in your reply

Control
And
Not enough time

Those two things don’t jive with eachother.

What’s more important to you
The control or the time?

What’s your time worth?
If you buy a commercial machine not only do you lose your time you’re paying big money up front for it.

Also the control comes with if you’re not happy with a company, fire them and give someone else a try.

But you need to have realistic expectations and a realistic budget.

So imagine with me, in a perfect world , where you could hire joe cool to mow your lawn and he did it just the way you like, how much is that single cut worth to you per week?

Johnr14309

LawnSite Member
I just joined this forum. Might I recommend the Toro Timemaster 30"? I am looking to replace my Troy Bilt 33" that's on its way out. This Tor intrigues me as does the Craftsman 28"

snapper

LawnSite Senior Member
My recommendation would be an exmark walk behind. Something 36-48. In my opinion exmark has the best deck for what you want. And they will mulch or bag like no other. I have a 48 viking that is just amazing how it can mulch, and how fine the clipping can be when side discharging.

Top Forums