Looking Skid Sprayer Setup Sugestions

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Trey Kornegay, Jan 27, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    Trey Kornegay

Trey Kornegay LawnSite Member

This is what I’m looking at getting exempt with a electric hose reel with 300ft 1/2 it’s around 4 grand

56DAD4B2-9C78-4712-88FA-F4ADBA99FF54.jpeg

2. AnotherOkie

AnotherOkie LawnSite Senior Member
    from Newalla

Nice looking rig. Might want to add roller guide or fairlead so you can pull at an angle, since reel doesn't swivel.

3. OP
    OP
    Trey Kornegay

Im gonna have that added as well. Only thing I’m unsure about is the type of pump and pump size to work with 300ft 1/2 hose

4. YardSentry

YardSentry LawnSite Member

I've used the rig I posted and that Comet 41 1/2 hose and a no name tree gun consistently reach 40' if that helps.

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Sweet set up, Trey.
    Let us know if it suits your needs and how it performs.
    Electric hose reel is important.

How does it fit into your truck? My old truck was 61 inches wide--but about a foot less between the wheel wells. Can you fit it in sideways? Is there a way to turn the reel sideways?
    Try to put your spreader on the truck. Will it fit?

How many gallons per minute is your pump? What brand, and diaphragm or piston?

6. OP
    OP
    Trey Kornegay

I am waiting to hear back from the salesman with the dimensions of the unit but he said it should fit also the hose reel will come with hose guides so it can be pulled straight back or out to each side. He is also working on a few different pump options for me Going to choose between centripetal or diaphragm

7. RigglePLC

On my rig, I installed an extra long starter rope so I did not have to lower tailgate or reach down inside the box to start the motor. The rope went up to a pulley about 18 inches high. The rope could be easily pulled from the rubber handle about waist high from the side of the truck. Make sure you can change the oil, air filter and fuel filter.

One additional idea. If you plan to carry bags of fert at the same time--can you bolt the sprayer down off-center, 12 inches to the right? This should allow you to carry ten extra bags of fertilizer standing up vertically in the bed to the left side of the sprayer. Weight distribution would be slightly off center, of course.

8. OP
    OP
    Trey Kornegay

For now this rig will go in my crew cab 1500 Chevy so it will basicly fill the rest the bed up after the tool box I’m going to have a nice hitch haul made to hold spreader and bags of fert. Eventually i want to put it in a long bed 2500

9. YardSentry

YardSentry LawnSite Member

I was freaked by the 1500 specs, but if you install an air bag setup inton a 1500 you can put 3000lbs in bed.

10. RigglePLC

Crew cab?
    Perfect...if you want...you can remove the useless back seat. You can probably get at least 20 bags of fertilizer in the back. Protected from the weather. You probably will have to add some plywood and blocks to form a flat floor. Put a few bags on the floor in the front seat, too.
    If you need to, remove that cross-bed tool box. Carry your tools in a low tray under the seat. Give yourself room to carry your spreader and 15 bags of fertilizer in the bed.
    Buy or build a tool box that fits elsewhere. Has anyone found a toolbox that fits beside the sprayer? Good place to carry a jug of herbicide--locked. If the jug is carried in the bed--it is a good idea to put a chain through the handle and lock it. Gas can, too.
    I lost a gas can, stolen one night, while parked in front of a friend's house.

Don't forget--carrying a lot of weight is hard on the brakes--they do not last long.