Lawn Care Forum banner

Looking to buy a Kubota KX-121

24K views 41 replies 8 participants last post by  ConstSvcs 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about a KX-121. with a hyd thumb and a angle blade. I'll probably buy used so I'll be looking for the best deal. I could get 0% on a new one but I might be inclined to overspend on other goodies for the machine.
I like this size and it has more pwer than a KX91.

I do swimming pool construction,trash and debris removal,grading and drainage.
I like the Kubota line. I own 3 other Kubota tractors-B-26,L-440,grand L 4240,plus a Takeuchi 140. I also have a pretty nice f-750 dump truck

Thoughts on this machine and what other accessories?
I'm in Raleigh NC,where we hardly have winter,hot as hell summers and this year a lot of rain.

#4 ·
what about lift? I've heard the reason they phased out the 161 was to increase its lift. doesn't the 161 have as much overhang?
No, The 161 has less over hang from the side. It's replacement the 057 has a too much overhang like the 121. The 161 was an in between machine and was phased out for the new U55 which is a true ZTS. On lift not really sure what a 6 ton machine should lift but I have moved a bunch of rocks in the 3k range when building water gardens. You need a machine with little or no over hang unless you only work out in the open 100% of the time. There was a post about the KX057 earlier in the year and pictures where posted about the overhang and difference between it and the 161.

#7 ·
I'm looking at using this as an all around machine. Thats why I have been interested in the 121. It's a 9k machine and might be easier to use in a tight enviroment compared to the 161 or a U 45. You might havea different opinion tho so I'm all ears,er eyes in this case.

I have a B 26 with a backhoe so a smaller machine I have. I like the idea of the strength of the 10k-12k units but worry about being able to get into the job. I have the equipment and CDL for moving bigger toys so should I consider the U 45 or 161 or even a U 55?

Is a 55,161 that much stronger than a 121,U45? I'll probably use it a lot for stumps,clearing yard waste and construction debris and doing drainage. I might try to do some mowing with it too if I can develop that line of work with it. If I'm buying one I want to make sure I have plenty of options as to the type of work I can do with it. The reason I've looked at used is primarily the fact I don't load any of my equipment up with hours and the intial costs altho 0% financing is attractive.

#10 ·
The cab is pretty important for different reasons than the skid. With the mini you sit right on top of the motor and pumps which throw some serious heat. Of course without the cab that heat dicipates quickly. The A/C/heat is nice for me doing clearing work when its cold but you dont have to worry about that as much

#14 ·
I'm looking at using this as an all around machine. Thats why I have been interested in the 121. It's a 9k machine and might be easier to use in a tight enviroment compared to the 161 or a U 45. You might havea different opinion tho so I'm all ears,er eyes in this case.

I have a B 26 with a backhoe so a smaller machine I have. I like the idea of the strength of the 10k-12k units but worry about being able to get into the job. I have the equipment and CDL for moving bigger toys so should I consider the U 45 or 161 or even a U 55?

Is a 55,161 that much stronger than a 121,U45? I'll probably use it a lot for stumps,clearing yard waste and construction debris and doing drainage. I might try to do some mowing with it too if I can develop that line of work with it. If I'm buying one I want to make sure I have plenty of options as to the type of work I can do with it. The reason I've looked at used is primarily the fact I don't load any of my equipment up with hours and the intial costs altho 0% financing is attractive.
A couple months ago I was looking to buy a new 121, when I demoed the machine it was very nice and smooth but the cab seemed small and outdated. When I returned the machine they had a U55 come in so I demoed it and ended up buying it. The cab is much more comfortable and the 55 has a lot more power. I got use to the extra size of the machine in a day or two and am now glad I went bigger. The minimal tail swing is also nice.

#16 ·
I have a u 15 and the 161...
I would never ever trade the 161 for a 121, I work mostly in city lots and have not found a place that it made me want a slightly smaller machine, for sure the u15 fits that need but that is way smaller.
I have an 18" a 30" and a 48" bucket for my 161, the 48 is used lots, great for back filling and loading trucks..... dont buy a 121 till you have at least tried the 161:)

#17 ·
yeah but how much more mula was the U55 vs the 121? of course you want the machine to pay for it self but I'd hate the payments when things are slow
Of course it costs more however if a couple hunderd bucks a month extra is gonna make or break you then maybe this may not be a wise purchase?
Expect to spend about 60K on the U55 and about 45k on the 121 depending on options.

#18 ·
I have two different friends that have the 121 and the other 161. I've never noticed a place where I couldn't get the 161 vs 121. For the size a 121 is not a bad machine. Not a whole lot (to me) in power difference. If I was going to buy a kubota it would be the U57/55

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.