• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

looking to dabble - any suggestions for a bridge program?

MacLawnCo

LawnSite Bronze Member
Im looking at the idea of switching some of my clients from a synthetic fertilizer based lawn application program to a bridge type program where we use organic lawn fertilizers and absolute minimum herbicides in spot spray situations only (what about Pre-emergent in the spring?). I dont know exactly where to start looking, when the truth be told. Has anyone ever gotten their feet wet in this way and if so, how did you or would you go about doing this? Im looking to stay in a cost target that is competitive with traditional applications. Thanks!

ICT Bill

LawnSite Platinum Member
Im looking at the idea of switching some of my clients from a synthetic fertilizer based lawn application program to a bridge type program where we use organic lawn fertilizers and absolute minimum herbicides in spot spray situations only (what about Pre-emergent in the spring?). I dont know exactly where to start looking, when the truth be told. Has anyone ever gotten their feet wet in this way and if so, how did you or would you go about doing this? Im looking to stay in a cost target that is competitive with traditional applications. Thanks!
Hey Mac welcome to the forum
Welcome to the dark green side

yes there are many on here that start just that way, I think it is a smart way to stick your toe in the water and find out what works good for you and fits into your program

it does not make business sense to me for you to drop all of the programs that you know are working

That said, you can transision easily by talking to Barry Draycott from tech terra who is on here. He used to be an applicator himself and ran as a manager for a bunch of knuckleheads in the field for many years so he is very familiar with both worlds

http://www.techterraorganics.com/

You will find that the old myths of costs too much, doesn't work as well, you have to apply twice as much, takes 3 years, does not apply anymore

I have seen 18 acres of sports fields in the best shape it has ever been in in less than 6 months, started in March and took pictures in July

phasthound

LawnSite Fanatic
Mac,

You are not alone, the entire industry is moving in that direction. As Bill said, this is exactly what Tech Terra Organics is designed to do. We offer a full line of natural and transitional fertilizers, soil amendments, insect repellents and weed control products that are effective and competitively priced. Check out our website & feel free to call me at the # below.

Randall Houff

LawnSite Member
The way we started was to ask our present suppliers what they had to offer or get us connected to someone that offered bridge products. You should have a purchase history with several suppliers on other products, that they can still sell you, even if they do not offer the bridge. We are very fortunate in this regard.
As a side note, no universities in our region, have good results on gluten preemerge. Also, at state conference, the speaker told us that sludge products do not qualify as accepted organics, by rule. We do not really care, for our clients.
We currently use standard preemerge for those that want it, bridge feedings for those that do not want straight synthetic, and they get spot treatment only of standard herbicides.
One of my surprises with our entire industry is why sprays are not "required" since granulars are not fully controlled no matter how much experience you have as an applicator. Sprays can be put on turf and turf only, not hardscape. SAVE THE BAY, here in Virginia where I am.

Marcos

LawnSite Gold Member
Cincy / Dayton area, huh?
Where is your shop located?

Randall Houff

LawnSite Member
We are in the Shenandoah valley of Va.
You will have to charge a little more for organics because you will have more labor time to spot treat. The fert products are reasonably priced but many will not cover as much area, depending on analysis, and finally not as many clients, so volume pricing will not be in your favor.
Ohio State turf site is an excellent resource for you and I find them responsive when i send an email.

OP
MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo

LawnSite Bronze Member
Thanks Randall - much appreciated.

Marcos - main yard is north of Dayton - looking for a sub yard south of Dayton for our reach into Cincy - then Columbus is next :-D