1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

looking to get into fert applications

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by northbeast, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Let me know if you go the route of TGCL/Scotts 5 step program or not, then I'll be less synical... :)

2. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

not sure if you are thinking 5 steps doesnt work but in the northeast 4 -1pound apps of N and 1 fall lime is a standard program done by a lot of companies up here. I think thats what the original post might have been ref to.

3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not disagreeing that virtually everybody around here is selling a 4-7 step program to anyone, and everyone, who will pay for it...

There's an Adage that states: "He who frames the arguement, wins the Debate."

This discussion is "reframed" from my POV. My point is, that Just because everybody's doing it... Doesn't make it , Right!!!...

When one tries to prove that a 5 month growing season needs, 4-7 apps of everything, every year... well,... then you're selling snake oil, at many different levels...
    Remember, I am a full service, that benefits from, NOT, charging for certain apps., once it is discovered, that they are not needed.
    I actually benefit, by not applying all 7 times... :)

I understand that in order for 'squirt&fert', to survive as a business, they require all 7 apps. be paid for... I understand the business principle of landscape/lawncare, in that respect, since its inception...
    The thing I'm talking about is,,, changing that unnecessary app or two, into something of longterm value... I was thinking that it may be the opportunity to do some Soil Building... :)