Looking to know what I should have charged for this job as it was my first solo job and I got hosed.

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Richard Albert J.R, May 4, 2019.

1. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Materials is already included in 18/square
    Don’t have to add them again

2. TPendagast

Male

Yes
    The blocks don’t cost anywhere near what you think they do, typically 3-4 per square
    The cost is in the prep work, excavation and expertise laying them.

3. TPendagast

Male

Cam15 likes this.
  4. Hayduke

Hayduke LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

So if you got "hosed" then you must know how far you fell short of your revenue goal for the project, therefore you already know how much you would have liked to/should have charged. Not sure why you are asking us. Hopefully you took some good records so that your second job as a solo you don't get hosed.
    PS my advice is don't listen to anyone on sq foot pricing or you may still get hosed. We completed two paving projects back to back that were same cost for the pavers but completely different installation scenarios. First job our install rate averaged 5.88 sq ft/hour, the second job averaged 2.1 sq ft/hr due to the particularities of the job. Now that will change your sq foot price dramatically.

hort101 likes this.
  5. Mudly

Mudly LawnSite Senior Member

Suit yourself. I wouldn't bid that low myself.

Cam15 likes this.
  6. TPendagast

Male

Come back and talk when you sell hundreds of thousands in hardscape a month, 18 a square for a simple patio is about e national average.

7. TPendagast

Male

OP didn’t necessarily Get hosed because pricing was wrong, could have had poor production or likely didn’t figure the particulars of all the special detail like the in laid soldier course

8. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Senior Member

The production on your first attempt at anything is probably not going to be very fast. The op probably didn’t get hosed as bad as he thinks since he can probably increase the production significantly on the next job. I usually chock it up to most people pay to learn and I’m getting paid to learn. I just “saved” about $1500 digging a footer myself. Now considering the time it took me I probably didn’t save any money but it’ll go way faster next time.

9. TPendagast

Male

From his post
    I’m
    Assuming the issue is the high detail
    Not the first time he’s done a patio

10. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Senior Member

He said first solo job so maybe I assumed wrong.