Looking to know what I should have charged for this job as it was my first solo job and I got hosed.

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Richard Albert J.R, May 4, 2019.

1. Hayduke

Hayduke LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

If he got hosed its because his pricing was wrong, period....he didn't consider the extra complications of performing the job due to the complications of the curves, soldiers courses, etc.

I definitely don't sell this many sq feet per month as a small business, but if I did, $18 a foot would have net me a nice profit on a couple of jobs, but I would have eaten s--- on a couple of jobs with that sq foot pricing.

Where's the OP? either licking his wounds? Or maybe just a homeowner in disguise wondering if they got hosed by their contractor.
    Point is, hardscaping is a "hard" business....you don't get to dance with the bridesmaid without some serious effort...i dont care how good of a bricklayer you are, if you can't figure out how to run the biz....you will get hosed repeatedly

2. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

If you read my post , 18/sf is base
    Can go up to $28 depending on difficulty , design, etc.
    Hence the % markup

3. Hayduke

Hayduke LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

Yep did read your post and totally agree with your 40-60% mark up for the additional difficulties illustrated by the OP's job.
    Just curious how the OP got into such a detailed job without any idea of the potential cost. That would definitely be a higher end residential job in my neck of the woods and would have cost a pretty penny, definitely nowhere near $18 a foot.
    Just irks me a little bit to think that people are doing that level of work for donuts and beer, But I'll get over it....

4. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

I’m sure (well almost sure) that the job was put together without a contract, and/or he didn’t stick to the contract.

Customer agrees to base price and on e they get to building it , runs out to show all these great photos and ideas the customer has and admires... eager to please and do a good job, the contractor shows off his talent and poof you get a job done for 60% less than it’s worth,
    Once he sits back and collects his final payment and has to pay for all the materials, he wonders where the money had gone.

This is where the art of the upsell/change order is lost.

If the contract doesn’t clearly define what the inclusions and exclusions are, and that deviation from this requires a written change order, then it’s carte Blanche for the customer to dance all over the contractor.

The contractor is already there with his men and materials (which is why the deposit and progress payments are so important)
    Frequently the novice contractor either doesn’t get a down payment or does get enough, at some point the contractor is farther into the job, than the customer had paid for and to make ends meet the contractor needs to finish the job and get that payment, that’s when the customer wanders out and starts making extra demands.

Essentially this is how most rich people are rich, they have things they haven’t fully paid for. It’s actually quite common.

The contractor is inexperienced and overeager to show off how he is better than the competition
    The customer senses that and exploits it,

You see this on here all the time when posters complain about competition getting jobs they wish they had, they poop all over their performance without knowing what’s included in the contact, defending that with “well when I have a job that’s included, because it’s got my name on it”
    These are the types of people the rich and lecherous search for. The type who include the fertilizer with the spring clean up, for the price of a spring clean up alone... because that’s how “quality” contractors do things... according to them.

It’s not that they do stuff on purpose, they just literally don’t know what the heck they’re doing and don’t know how to set them selves apart from established competition.

It’s nativity.

However
    You can still bid $33 per square and lose money
    You can bid $100 per square an lose money

It’s not necessarily the bid that’s wrong
    Lazy or untrained guys can make any job go south.

iand, Mudly, GreenscapeCT and 3 others like this.
  5. Mudly

Mudly LawnSite Senior Member

im not arguing your price, your company not mine. no need to assume anybody monthly sales.

spot on.

Cam15 likes this.
  6. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i would have kept it 2 rows of bricks the whole way instead of taking it down to 1 row.

Cam15 likes this.