1. Complete Our Survey For A Chance To Win A $50 Amazon Gift Card
    We’d like to know your thoughts about LawnSite, and how we can make our community a more useful resource for your lawn care and landscaping needs. Please click here to take the survey, which should only take five minutes to complete. One winner will be chosen at random to win a $50 Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking to purchase an extension trimmer/saw

Discussion in 'Tree Climbing, Pruning, Felling' started by chefj, Mar 11, 2015.

1. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I just looked at the Echo web site. The PPT-280 is similar to what I used to have for my hedge trimmer and saw attachment. It is a lot more rugged for long reach use. They don't list a hedge trimmer any more as a attachment, just the saw. I would suggest looking into this unit for what you need.

2. LoweJ82

LoweJ82 LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't get the extension version, after a while the mounting points of them weaken and wobble.

Id get the stihl telescoping polesaw, think either $599 or $699 wanna say its about 8' long retracted and then about 12-13' when out. Plenty of power! and you can also use the bush trimmer attachment as well on the

With a 12' A frame ladder you can get up pretty high with these, if your just starting out using one the cuts can chase down the pole pretty easily but you'll get the hang of it.

3. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Silver Member

Not a bad idea.

With a torx wrench, you can pull the pole saw gearbox attachment off, and put on a hedge trimmer (or like I said above, power scythe) attachment right on the telescoping pole end too. This will give you a much more solid pole to grip, and I've seen these used as hedge trimmers for really tall stuff before.

4. LoweJ82

Check out this thread, couple pics of what I did with a stihl telescoping pole saw with a chainsaw head & hedge trimmer attachment and a a frame ladder.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=436662

$699 pole saw
    $300 good a frame
    $200 hedge trimmer attachment (this will wear a guy out but this set is nice to have)

Makes your money back real fast! people will come out like roaches when they see you.

5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Ladders and long pole trimmers or chain saws equal trouble. Keep your feet on the ground. Things go wrong fast and the last place any one wants to be is up on a ladder.

6. OP
    OP
    chefj

chefj LawnSite Senior Member

7. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Silver Member

He says he has a Stihl HT131, but he has a KM110 kombi.
    I would absolutely not put on the number of extensions he has. I could easily see one of the tubes folding up as he picks up the engine.

The real HT131 has a telescoping shaft that is much stronger and is up to the task of that kind of reach.

8. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Under no circumstances should a power pole pruner or Kombi or PAS system be used with multiple extension on a ladder. No manufacturer will condone or be held responsible for any and all liability claims generated by accidents that will occur by operator negligence.
    easy-lift guy

9. LoweJ82

So why do they make arborist ladders? http://www.baileysonline.com/Arborist-Tree-Care/Ladders/

All major tree service companies around here will use this method. Work under a certified arborist for 3 years now and been around many more lol

10. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Take the time to read the narrative about said ladders on the web-site.
    You may discover that there is no mention of any equipment being used while standing on these ladders. Main reason is because of one word.
    LIABILITY!. As I have already stated earlier the manufacturers of said ladders will never state in writing or show pictures of anyone using equipment that can create a dangerious and unsafe work environment.
    If anyone wants to risk life or limb by working with ladders and implements previously mentioned in this thread, that explains why people continue to be injured and killed every year. Mainly because they don't care about warnings and the inherent danger when it comes to working on ladders in a way that is dangerious to them selfs and others.
    easy-lift guy