Lawn Care Forum banner

Looking to start a landscaping business in the spring, need tips and pointers!!

10K views 41 replies 18 participants last post by  Reflection 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, I am new to the site and would love to get as much information as possible regarding starting a landscaping business for the upcoming spring season.

First off I just recently started a snow plowing business this past winter and to my surprise I landed a total of approximately 25 contracts. A few of my clients have asked me about taking care of their lawns this year so it dawned on me....might as well start a landscaping business!!!

I have been reading many of the threads about the do's and dont's of a landscaping company but any additional information would be GREATLY appreciated!

First off, I already have a 1 ton diesel ford, edgers, a blower, rakes, shovels, small push mower, and various other tools that I know I will need. On my list of what I do need is:

-trailer
-zero turn mower
-possibly a riding mower

What else would you all recommend for me to buy?

Also since I am new to the landscaping field, Im not 100% sure on how to price, I know it goes by the hour (around $20-50) but I would like to know what you all are charging.

Also, what do you all think I should do besides cut grass?

Mulch, trim hedges, fertilize?? How do I add that in the total price for the customer?

I know this is alot of questions but any help is GREATLYY appreciated, and if there is any other information that I am missing at all, feel free to let me know so I can grow my business as much as possible in year 1.

Thank you all very much!! :)

See less See more
#3 ·
I didn't see you list a trimmer. probably need one of those. For me, to use a straight riding mower, would be a waste of money and time. Depending on your finances, i would go with a walk behind. (hydro) Versatility!
For me , most of the residential yards i do are between 25-35 bucks. thats edging, trimming, and blowing included in the mow. I would probably never do a yard for less than $25. 20 bucks if it was super small.
If you are doing residential lawns, Just offer anything else that you know how to do. Tree/shrub trimming/removal, planting, fertilizing, mulching, seeding, general cleanup.
I don't know hardly anything,but one thing I do is ask alot of questions and I'm always searching for answers. Good luck to you this year!

#4 ·
Here's what I will say, keep your overhead low. It seems every year there is a guy who is in his first couple years of business and goes out and buys 2 new trucks, a trailer, and some brand new mowers. Stay out of debt if possible, if not, try to keep it small. I try to keep myself from "buying from the future" aka using credit cards. I would say, right now you will need a zero turn, and trailer, and some trimmers. At least for the lawn care side of things. Start off with the lawn care, you already have some of the stuff you need for that so start there. Landscaping opens another group of tools that you need for things. What I have found while mowing is that a lot of landscaping we do ends up being for the people that we mow for.

Hope some of that helps.

Spencer Korum
www.yardbros.com

#6 ·
I work mostly solo, and I have to say that a round here I work for $60 an hour. That's mowing, mulching, pruning, pretty much everything. As others have mentioned, keep the overhead low... Buy a trailer, mower, and trimmer, and then just use em and work em. When It comes to estimating, it really comes down to you learning how fast you and your equipment can work. I try and get a dollar a minute from gate drop to gate up. There are obviously exceptions for larger properties, seeing as I don't have to drive around from property to property. Any other questions feel free to ask.

#7 ·
I work mostly solo, and I have to say that a round here I work for $60 an hour. That's mowing, mulching, pruning, pretty much everything. As others have mentioned, keep the overhead low... Buy a trailer, mower, and trimmer, and then just use em and work em. When It comes to estimating, it really comes down to you learning how fast you and your equipment can work. I try and get a dollar a minute from gate drop to gate up. There are obviously exceptions for larger properties, seeing as I don't have to drive around from property to property. Any other questions feel free to ask.
As kind of a "newbie" what would you suggest i do, mow lawns, mulch and edging are the basics that I know i can handle. but what are other things i can do when i start landscaping, and would they follow the basic $60 per hour rule?
Posted via Mobile Device

#8 ·
I'm in the same boat as you rppaving.

Looking to get going this spring as well and the pricing for mowing lawns is confusing to me as well. With the snow plowing I've done, it's X dollars an hour with the skid steer and snow pusher and that's it. Mowing I'm not so sure of though because there are some that have their hourly rate and some that go by the job and size of lawn. To me the hourly rate is the way to do things but I'm unsure of how to calculate what it would cost me per hour to mow, trim, blow sidewalks off, put fuel in the truck and mower, maintain everything, pay myself etc etc etc and still stay in the black.

#9 ·
Find a couple buddies with yards big small and in between call the companies around your area to come bid them. Gives you a general idea of what pricing in your area is. I did this this past spring and was surprised that i was actually more then perficut and trugreen in my area. Dropped my prices to be competitive with them and started landing a lot more jobs. Probably not the "best" business practice but helped me out a lot.

#10 ·
I'm going into my first year as well this Spring. From what I've learned just use your hourly rate of $50-60 + material costs for all your mulch jobs. You'll be able to get a feel for how long it takes you to do certain jobs after you get some experience. At $60 per hour with low overhead you are going to be making some money. It's hard to truly know what to charge and what you're worth until you get a year under your belt. Keep track of all gas, oil, repairs, etc. throughout the year and figure out your true costs next year at this time. Never mow a lawn for under 25 I don't care how small it is. You have to figure that between driving there, unloading, trim, cut, blow, and load back up it'll be at least a half hour. Then you add in equip costs, overhead, gas for truck/equip, insurance, etc. If you charge somebody under 25 you aren't making ****!

The best thing is when you land 3 or 4 houses side by side and you can fly through it and make a killing per hour.

#11 ·
I'm going into my first year as well this Spring. From what I've learned just use your hourly rate of $50-60 + material costs for all your mulch jobs. You'll be able to get a feel for how long it takes you to do certain jobs after you get some experience. At $60 per hour with low overhead you are going to be making some money. It's hard to truly know what to charge and what you're worth until you get a year under your belt. Keep track of all gas, oil, repairs, etc. throughout the year and figure out your true costs next year at this time. Never mow a lawn for under 25 I don't care how small it is. You have to figure that between driving there, unloading, trim, cut, blow, and load back up it'll be at least a half hour. Then you add in equip costs, overhead, gas for truck/equip, insurance, etc. If you charge somebody under 25 you aren't making ****!

The best thing is when you land 3 or 4 houses side by side and you can fly through it and make a killing per hour.
I dont know if I can charge more then 20 a yard for lets say a 40 foot front and 50 deep, since i have to also add in 13% sales tax.

good luck op we are in same boat, :canadaflag:

#13 ·
From the time you begin to load the truck, until the time you're done for the day IS the amount of time dedicated to the particular job... Somedays it may be,,, just that way... becuz of drought or rain your ONLY job may be the one lawn, so make sure it is always worth the trouble to do that one lawn...
Be sure to charge, Mileage on the truck and Hours on the mowers...

Learning horticulture is always a plus,,, planting plants is not that hard, but scapers kill a lot of plants by careless plantings... have fun...

#17 ·
Im no expert, but when I heard hardscaping I think Patios, walkways, stonework(ie facing), pools, and stone driveways. I may be way off with this, but I am no expert and Im sure another member can really tell you.
Well ive done blacktop work for many years so a stone walkway or driveway shouldn't be tok bad. Also i wonder about the complexity of the other things you mentioned,how difficult would those be to construct for a potential client??
Posted via Mobile Device

#18 ·
Hardscape is really common sense from the ground up... Pardon the pun... Experience is good becuz it teaches you the consequences of some detail, you may have overlooked... using sand/gravel in most foundational issues is generally you best bet... When clay or rock heaves or settles is when your hardscape issue become a problem...
Don't be intimidated by it... :)

#19 ·
Well ive done blacktop work for many years so a stone walkway or driveway shouldn't be tok bad. Also i wonder about the complexity of the other things you mentioned,how difficult would those be to construct for a potential client??
Posted via Mobile Device
I know of hardscapers that do pools, but there are people out there that do pools ONLY, and most of that work goes to them... But i have done stone facing for my mothers house and it isnt too challenging at all. I know my stone place near by holds classes every other saturday and im sure there is someone where you are that can teach you the basics. Another thing to add to your list may be stone, brick, and cement staircases. Everybody needs them for their house and its pretty simple stuff.

#24 ·
Doing my footwork as well. On the matter of pricing, simple enough. Look up landscaping as if you are the one in need of service and study every website that is in your area and read the reviews on them. A lot of answers will come out of their own advertising. I have yet to even cut a lawn and am putting my rates together over the past couple of days. You can check out my basic format so far on facebook. Broom & Ladder Yard Care out of Portland,OR. Taking the time to do searches through LawnSite.com has been quite beneficial as well. It is like looking through a complete how to magazine. When you find your beneficial threads, subscribe to them.

#26 ·
Do you have any accounts yet? What is your budget? I personally run a 36" wb because i market directly to smaller yards and most of them have gates in my area. My buddy markets all the gated community with big yards and runs a 52" ztr. Both work perfect for us but if we ever had to switch it would not be productive. See where I'm coming from?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.