looking to step it up

stotts1

LawnSite Member
hello all, im a school bus driver from huntington, wv. i run a very small property management business with about 5 lawn accounts (actually have MORE snow accounts) and im looking to expand to @30 .it seems like everyone with a mower around here is a lawn care guy and the word of mouth jobs dont come very often. i could use some solid advice on marketing, what works best, what not to waste my time on and any odd or unusual techniques that are working for you guys. LOVE THIS SITE! thanks in advance, Glenn

OP
S

stotts1

LawnSite Member
thanks bear, i appreciate the offer. pat is an outstanding ball player, it was a real treat to be able to see him perform at the high school level, not to mention mayo and the others as well.

matt spinniken

LawnSite Senior Member
My suggestion would be to start out with doorhangers. Try a company like www.48hourprint.com and put out as many as you can in areas that you are interested in.

Make sure that the design of the hangers reflects the kind of business that you want to have. For example if you want to serve a higher-end market print out very high quality hangers with good design and don't put big coupons all over it.

If you are serious about expanding, a goal might be to have 10 new marketing tactics. e.g. new biz cards, company shirts, lettered truck, simple website, etc.

QualityLawnCare4u

LawnSite Gold Member
When I first saw the name thought you was David, a guy with your last name who moved from my area few month ago and also drove a school bus. He also moved to your area in WV.

OP
S

stotts1

LawnSite Member
If you are serious about expanding, a goal might be to have 10 new marketing tactics. e.g. new biz cards, company shirts, lettered truck, simple website, etc.

matt thanks so much for the suggestions, i have always worked with a very small budget and im usually afraid to drop lots of cash on something that doesn't guarantee results, however ive talked myself into a limited advertising budget this year and think the 10 new marketing tactics is right up my alley. thanks again, glenn

OP
S

stotts1

LawnSite Member
When I first saw the name thought you was David, a guy with your last name who moved from my area few month ago and also drove a school bus. He also moved to your area in WV.

you mean.... there is another human with my same last name? WOW:dizzy: in WV and drives a school bus? are you messin with me man? all jokes aside stotts is a very unusual last name especially in this area, pretty cool to hear about more of us!

EARTH5

LawnSite Member
my best way ever to get new accounts has been by far the sevice directory in a local newspaper...all the old folks get the paper and love a deal.. also always write "free estimates :" in ur ad.... g luck

93Chevy

LawnSite Fanatic
Take a marketing or entrepreneurship class at a community college. You have to understand what your product is before you try to sell it. Understand the "4 P's" of marketing.

What is your product?

How much are you willing to sell it for? (Price)

How are you going to promote your service?

To whom are you trying to reach? (placement)

Once you've answered these honestly, you're on your way to growing your business successfully.

As far as promotion, I guess just try to saturate the market via fliers, signs, etc. Get your name out there. Good luck.

Top Forums