Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,093 Posts
Its never happened. I went up on my prices once last year and again this year without a single phone call or complaint. If it were to happen i would likely let them go unless they were a customer who i sell installs to. I have a full schedule and could replace them with ease.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Had a customer for 6 years. Mow and bag, fert, trim bushes and apple trees, and gutters. Never raised her mowing price in all that time. This spring raised her $2 per cut and she flipped out and got somebody else to do everything. Oh well, she was kind of a pita, but she did get me a few referrals over the years and now I work for most of her neighbors. Kinda glad she let me go instead me getting rid of her. Would have looked bad if I had done that.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Alot of diffrent factors play into this one:
1.how many years have they been good customers (strees good)
2.do they pay on time
3.is it an easy mow
4.(a)Do u really need there money
4(b) do u do more than one account for them
5.keep the customer without raising the price until u replace them on the schedule
6. if they r jerks about the increase then drop the customer
7. I raise every customer every year. Not alot just a little, but none the less we raise there price, once in a great while they will complain but have not lost one directly due to a price increase. Possibly indirectly.

If it happens to us we will keep them until we can replace them with another property.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
I'd let them go. People who haggle and nickel and dime you are the same who complain about everything. I added $2.50 to every one of my mowing accounts last month. I had one guy call to complain. He said he didn't want to pay the extra. I told him, "sorry, but my costs have gone up. I need to raise my prices." He paused for a minute or so, then caved in and agreed. I was was glad to keep his account, as it is a lucrative account, and I do the neighbor too. If you let your clients dictate your price, you are toast.

·
Registered
244 Posts
If it happens to us we will keep them until we can replace them with another property.
This is my solution...as far as doing a crappy job until they come around goes, I did that also once. One of my customers wanted to go to every other week and yet still have her yard look like Wembleton. I proceeded to leave inch and a half grass clippings and clumps laying all over the place. After the second time I did this she called me back and asked if it was too late to go back to once a week or was I full. I graciously accepted her back. :p

·
Registered
367 Posts
i raised all my accoutns $5 the beginning of rhe season, no one had any problems with the increase. but if someone complained about a $2.50 increase i would have to let them go, i'm not going to haggle with someone over $2.50 if they think thats to much then they will most likely nict pick you all season and becomes Major PITAS. I set MY Price not the customers. the customer has the option of accepting my price or finding someone else, but i wont haggle over the price. I Know what i need to charge to make the profit i want.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
If I am working in the field and am close to maximum capacity, the customer has got to go. I can get another customer for that $2.50.

If I am in the office and employees are mowing and if I am still making money at the previous rate, then I leave it. Although, if a customer is complaining about $2.50, it is probably just a matter of time before you loose them anyway.

·
Registered
5,489 Posts
Never had the problem with anyone but if I did I'd have to make a judgement call based on the customer like lawnzilla2 said.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.