1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Lost check have you? What have you done?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by deere615, Sep 24, 2010.

1. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

So I hate to say this because I am always good at keeping things in order. Over my past few years in this business I have lost 2 checks one was during the big snow storm this past winter when at any given time I had like 20 checks in my pocket.

And just the other day I lost one, well not really it went though the wash:cry:.

So what do you guys do the first one I called the client told them I had lost it and said not need to write another and just took the $35 loss it was for a driveway, I didn't want to bother them to write another. This last one was for $85. So I am asking have you guys lost any checks before and what should I do about this one tell them not to worry about it? Yhey have no need to put as stop payment as I have it its just in 1000 tiny pieces.

2. Daily Lawn/Landscape

Daily Lawn/Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Call them, tell them it went through the washer and ask for another. If you have pieces of the washed check, return that to them.
    I misplaced a $100 check for an irrigation winterize last fall. I looked for it for a week. When it never turned up I called and asked for a replacement and they gladly wrote a new one. This spring while I was detailing the truck, I found it between the seats.

James

3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

This seems so obvious to me. Only someone who hates you wouldn't replace a check in that instance.

4. deere615

yeah I think thats what I will do is just call them they really like me so it wont be a problem I just hate to bother people I guess

5. Daily Lawn/Landscape

Daily Lawn/Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I don't want to bother people either, but I'm not going to do it for free either.

James

6. FLAhaulboy

FLAhaulboy LawnSite Senior Member

I "misplaced" a check for $247.00 last week. First time this has happened. Next time the client calls me over, I'll write something up in the next bill to him stating I lost it, sign it, & there should be no prob for him to write me another. There is no way anyone could ever try and cash the check w/o proper ID, in FL they want at least (2) forms of ID and a finger print.

I'm sure your client will write you another if you ask.

7. LouisianaLawnboy

LouisianaLawnboy LawnSite Silver Member

I would ask for another one, but I would offer to pay the difference if the lost check is ever found and cashed. Unless it was a lot of money I would just eat the difference, because asking a customer to write another check does not look professional.

I started keeping a bank bag in my truck with a deposit book in it, and when I get checks from customers I put them in the bag so I won't lose them.

8. deere615

yeah Thats proabably what I will do this time
    well like I said this time the check is found but in tiny pieces. yes thats another reason it bothers me is looking unprofessional, everwhere I go and everything I do is about professionalism

9. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Brad, just now saw this thread, I've done it too so don't feel bad. One thing I try to be really good about is I have a magic clipboard that pretty much never leaves my side. If I leave the house it goes with me. When a customer pays me I stop what I'm doing and take the check straight to the truck and put it in the clipboard. I don't leave them in my pockets anymore, during snowstorms they would be soaked, and same in the summer.

10. TheC-Master

TheC-Master LawnSite Senior Member

I almost never take checks, I hate them. I use autopay. I had one two weeks ago I lost for $120. I called him that day. I don't know why everyone thinks checks are totally safe and you can wait forever before notifying; your name, routing number, and checking number is on them, and often the address and phone number. Let them know so they can cancel it which they usually do. I could use that information and do things online with it. Be careful guys.