1. Site Upgrade Planned for Next Week!

LawnSite community,

As you know, we continually look for ways to enhance your experience on LawnSite and always try to make the site better, with more enhanced features and capabilities, and improved navigation so you can easily find the information that you’re looking for. So, the time has come for another software/site upgrade to a newer version of our platform. Once the upgrade is complete, we’re planning on making additional changes that will significantly improve upon your experience on LawnSite.

The upgrade is planned for early next week, with additional features being rolled out in the weeks and months ahead. As always, we welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Dismiss Notice

lost to neighbor boys

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by zlandman, Jun 16, 2020.

1. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ohio

4 year customer called and neighbor Boys are going to be mowing now (with her mower). But she "will keep my number in case they peter out after a few times" would have liked to see the neighbor boyz out there the first 4 cuts this year when it was 40 degrees wind and rain....:realmad:

Anyhow how much does the price go up if she calls back? *newcanadaflag*

2. kemco

kemco LawnSite Gold Member

Weren't a lot of us those "neighbor boys" at one point. Heck I loose one every now and then to those and I actually happy to see some younger folk out working hard. Hell, wait a few years and hire em on. It's a rare sight to see these days.

3. OP
    OP
    zlandman

from Ohio

Yeah, I had that thought. Good for the kids. I half expect to be called back though because the kids won't keep it up. And willing to bet they're getting paid the same without the costs. And saves her the sales tax!

4. Mark Stark

Mark Stark LawnSite Fanatic

What's irritating about it is the connotation that some neighborhood kids offer as much value as you do. All it takes is one of these kids to injure themselves on her property and she could lose her house. It's not 1985 more when society thought it was nice to have kids mowing lawns. Everyone sues way to fast now. I appreciate kids getting a work ethic but no way I'd hire them to do any work on my property. To much risk.

5. Youngandfree

Youngandfree LawnSite Member
    from VA

I sold a 48" SCAG WB to a 13 Y/O this spring. He mows 40 yards and his dad said this is his 3rd year mowing. I was pretty jazzed to give him a decent deal on a mower. I sent his dad this site too.

6. grobinsonpa

grobinsonpa LawnSite Member

Hi Youngandfree, That's an awesome story. Always glad to hear young guys doing this. I helped one of the teens in our youth group at Church get started cutting lawns about 8 years ago. He works in IT now but he still cuts about 10 lawns on the side.

7. Valk

Valk LawnSite Gold Member

When was the last time her mower was started? Hope it was Winterized...4 years ago.

8. JayinKs

JayinKs LawnSite Senior Member

I'm of the mindset that I do like to see young people working and learning what it takes to make dollar. Good for them. However, my price would go up if she calls me back.

9. AlohaMowing

AlohaMowing LawnSite Senior Member

Those who learn young about earning money have an advantage later in life. But, if one of those kids is injured on the customer's property (and using her mower, no less) she may have an unhappy lesson on workers' compensation and child labor laws.

10. OP
    OP
    zlandman

from Ohio

I'm thinking a $3 increase. It's $31 now.

Seems unlikely kids will edge or trim, especially around the chain link fence.

For the record Im good with kids wanting to do this. Just don't like the way customer mid season immediately made the change and said they want back on schedule if it doesn't work out. And customer didn't call, her controlling daughter called saying it was her moms decision.

You know the kids parents aren't going to say "you committed to it and you're going to keep doing it" So I'm not sure if this will be a good lesson or a bad one.