Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 36" Gravely Pro-Walk Gear mower, model 988151. The mower has been great in the just over 2 years I have owned it, which is also just out of the 2 year warranty period for the Pro-Walk Gear models. I just use it for my one acre lot, and it has around 85 hours on it. Last night, I was mowing, and heard an intermittent squeal coming from the mower. Although I regularly grease all the fittings, I shut it off and hit all of them again, the front wheels and spindles, all the pullies on the deck, and the two zerks on the transmission shafts. I went back out to mow, and that wasn't the issue. The shrieking/squealing only disappeared when I applied the left brake. While this would be fine if I was racing at Daytona, it doesn't help get my yard mowed. I have a local Gravely shop I can take it to, but if it is something obvious that I am overlooking, I'd rather not go to all that hassle. The brake pulley on the left side does look a little closer to the tire, compared to the pulley on the right side, but the squeal is metallic in nature, not rubber on rubber.

Much appreciation for any help.

Plant Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When does the squeal happen, you never said.
Sorry. When the mower is moving forward, with or without the blade engaged.

Sounds like the drive belt for the left wheel is loose or coated with debris? Try tightening up the left belt linkage and inspect the belt? Good luck.
Okay, I'll take a look. Pretty sure it's not debris, as I keep the mower pretty clean, but I'll check the tightness. Would it be unusual to have a bad belt, with those low hours?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Belt is probably good, always good to at least look. I had a belt drive Exmark that one belt was loose enough that the tire would not turn. I had to make an adjustment to the linkage. Hope this helps and your mower looks great. Nice to see someone maintaining their equipment.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Belt is probably good, always good to at least look. I had a belt drive Exmark that one belt was loose enough that the tire would not turn. I had to make an adjustment to the linkage. Hope this helps and your mower looks great. Nice to see someone maintaining their equipment.
Thanks. I was raised that if I didn't take care of my stuff, it wasn't getting replaced. I can afford to replace stuff now, but the lesson stayed.

If the squeal stops when you apply the left brake, it’s likely that brake is dragging. Check the adjustment.
I'll take a look, been out of town for a week. Just to be clear, you're talking about the brake dragging when it is not engaged, correct?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, yes. The very function of a brake is to cause friction to slow a wheel.... so it should most definitely drag while APPLIED. It should not be dragging when not in use. 🙄
Thanks for the eyeroll, guy. What is the very function of being a d-bag on an internet forum? I mean, as long as you're defining things.

The brakes are adjusted fine, still have the squeal, so off to the shop.

·
Banned
1,290 Posts
Thanks for the eyeroll, guy. What is the very function of being a d-bag on an internet forum? I mean, as long as you're defining things.

The brakes are adjusted fine, still have the squeal, so off to the shop.
The function of that is weeding out the guys who should be asking where a shop is instead of where a squeal is coming from that we can’t hear.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
You may want to give the shop a call in the morning and see how far they are backed up with stuff to work on. Are there any zerks on the back wheels? The first thing the shop will do is check the adjustments then take the wheel off and cllean everything with brake cleaner. Does the manual cover any of the adjustments?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You may want to give the shop a call in the morning and see how far they are backed up with stuff to work on. Are there any zerks on the back wheels? The first thing the shop will do is check the adjustments then take the wheel off and cllean everything with brake cleaner. Does the manual cover any of the adjustments?
I requested a call on the shop's website yesterday, so will talk to them today. No zerks on back wheels, and all adjustments to the brake and drive belts are within range. If the shop is backed up on service, I'll pop the wheel off and take a look myself. The pulley for the drive belt seems very close to the tire, so perhaps the squeal is coming from the wheel, due to a bearing going out. That would be odd, on a tractor with < 100 hours...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good luck with it all. Most importantly I don't want your interactions with Baker to be a representation of the help you can get here from Lawnsite.
Nah, I didn't think they were. I always tell folks that social media is like removing the drain plug in a stream. When the plug is in place, the rocks at the bottom are hidden. Still there, but the stream flows nicely and tranquil. Pull the plug, and the rocks pop up and ruin things. Everyone should strive to not be a rock.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Nah, I didn't think they were. I always tell folks that social media is like removing the drain plug in a stream. When the plug is in place, the rocks at the bottom are hidden. Still there, but the stream flows nicely and tranquil. Pull the plug, and the rocks pop up and ruin things. Everyone should strive to not be a rock.
Ya know thats a great thought for me ponder as leave the house with a mowing schedule I have no chance of finishing today.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The shop didn't answer my request for a quote, nor pick up the phone when I tried to call them just now, so I'll pull the wheel myself. I'm pretty sure it's a wheel bearing, as the squeal goes away when I apply the brakes, i.e. when that wheel stops turning. So, to quote a learned fellow that was on this thread at one time, the function of the brake, by applying friction to the brake drum, causes the friction happening in the wheel to stop. Did I get that right? ;):sneaky::LOL:

·
Registered
26,814 Posts
Maybe take the belt off
Spin each pulley by hand see if sqeaks or doesn't feel smooth
Also if it's like my scag wb there's a bearing the drive runs through

Reactions: jmdaniel
1 - 20 of 25 Posts