Louisiana CDL/Trailer GVWR Question

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by burnthefurniture, Nov 22, 2012.

  1. burnthefurniture

    burnthefurniture LawnSite Member
    Messages: 94

    I need some folks from Louisiana to help me decipher how the law is regarding CDL requirements of a class A license, and at what point I will be required to get one. I know that some other states have similar wordings, therefore others may be able to chime in as well.

    In Louisiana, Class A License (Combination Vehicles) - Any combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000. NOTE: If the vehicle being towed has a GVWR of 10,001 lbs. or more, Class A is required. However, you will be required to test in a combination that has a GVWR of 26,001 lbs. or more.

    Here is my question. I have read extensively and am still fuzzy about the "provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000#." Given this scenario, can someone explain to me how this works.

    Can I, with any vehicle (say a 1 ton dually gvwr 13,000) tow a trailer with GVWR 10,002# and be legal. Or do I need a class A CDL for any trailer towed behind any truck if that trailer's GVWR is 10,001# or more.

  2. KrayzKajun

    KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 10,737

    Go to the DOT office or state police and ask them. I really need to get my cdl. Im over weight pulling my deckover and my dump trailer.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. jones68

    jones68 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 453

    Maryland is written the same way and I was recently corrected on a different thread. With a truck with 13,000 gvwr you can pull a trailer with a 13,000 gvwr 13,000+13,000= 26,000 your good truck with 13,000 gvwr trailer 14,000 gvwr 13,00+14,000=27,000 your no good cdl required. The key word is combination weight. I thought the same as you until I was corrected. Happy thanksgiving
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. Duffster

    Duffster LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest
    Messages: 1,197

    No "A" needed.

    Key word is PROVIDED.

    You ned a class when over 26k combined PROVIDED the trailer is over 10k.

    Don't meet either of those numbers and you don't need an "A".
  5. YellowDogSVC

    YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX
    Messages: 3,792

    this is true. Texas has this neat little question/answer questionairre:
  6. burnthefurniture

    burnthefurniture LawnSite Member
    Messages: 94

    I appreciate the input from each of you on this issue.

    I have done a little bit of additional research, just to help muddy the issue up.

    In Louisiana (perhaps other states as well) there are 5 different classes of licenses. The A,B, and C class CDL which is common, and then there are also two others, D and E. The Louisiana Statues Define a class E license as a standard motor vehicle license which allows operation of a single vehicle UNDER 10,000# GVWR.

    A class D license, which, best I can tell involves being tested over an additional chapter of material is referred to in our state as a "Chaufer's License." This also would give you the ability to drive for hire vehicles under 26,000# GVWR. Having a class D license entitles you to the privileges of a class E also. However, in LA, in order to operate a single vehicle or combination of vehicles over 10,001# and up to 26,000# you must have a class D.

    R.S. 32:408 B. (2)(d) and 405.1:
    Class "D" Chauffeurs Driver's License
    Age Requirements: 17 years or above.
    Permits the operation of all vehicles included in Class E plus any single motor vehicle used in commerce to transport passengers or property if the motor vehicle has a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,001 or more pounds but less than 26,001 pounds, or any combination of vehicles used in commerce to transport passengers or property if the vehicle has a combined vehicle weight rating of 10,001 or more pounds but less than 26,001 pounds (inclusive of a towed unit with a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 10,000 pounds); or any vehicle designed or utilized for the transportation of passengers for hire or fee; and not utilized in the transportation of materials found to be hazardous under the provisions of the Hazardous Materials Transportation Act which requires the vehicle to bear a placard under the provision of Hazardous Materials Regulations (49 CFR Part 172, Subpart F).

    NOTE: As long as the combined gross vehicle weight rating (truck and trailer) is less than 26,001 pounds you can operate with Class D.

    R.S. 32:408 B.(2)(e) and 405.1:
    Class E Driver's License - Personal Vehicle
    Age Requirements: 17 years or above.
    Permits the operation of any single motor vehicle under 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight, any personal use recreational vehicle and farm vehicles controlled and operated by a farmer to transport agricultural products, farm machinery, or farm supplies to and from a farm within 150 air miles of the owner's or operator's farm (not used in operation of a Common or Contract Carrier, and not used to transport passengers or property for hire)or any other vehicle which is not used in the transportation of hazardous materials which is required to be placarded. No first-time application for a Louisiana Class E license shall be received from any person seventeen (17) years of age or older unless there is also submitted with the application written evidence of the successful completion by the applicant of a full thirty-eight (38) hour driver's education course. If the applicant is eighteen (18) year of age or older, he must provide written evidence of the successful completion of an approved six (6) hour "pre-licensing" training course in addition to completion of an eight (8) hour behind-the-wheel instruction course which was approved by the Louisiana Department of Public Safety & Corrections. Effective January 1, 2011, the applicant shall provide a signed statement to the department attesting that he has completed a minimum of fifty (50) hours of supervised driving practice with a licensed parent, guardian, or adult at least twenty-one (21) or older. At least fifteen (15) of these hours must be night time driving. New applicants transferring in with an out-of-state, foreign, or military license are exempt from this requirement.

    With how this is written, a picky officer could potential give a citation for someone operating a 1 ton dually of 11,400# with a "standard" class E license, however I have never heard of anyone having this happen. Down here, if police were hunting things like that, they'd have to stop just about every landscaper, LCO, or person with a truck and trailer. Nevertheless, it looks like I'll be going down to the friendly DMV soon to get my class D.

    Hows that for muddy clarity?

Share This Page