Lawn Care Forum banner

Louisiana Horticulture Exam

83K views 100 replies 35 participants last post by  Chris1982 
#1 ·
Just wanted to see if anyone on this site has taken the Horticulture exam thru the Department of Ag and Forestry?
I am having a bit of trouble with it. Failed it twice, some of the questions seem way to detailed for a book so large. Just wondering if any LA guys here have passed it and could tell me some good study references or any particular method you used when studying the book.

#2 ·
I passed it a while back, but not the first time around. I've herd that people with formal education and experience in the field have problems passing it.

I took it twice, you should know the fertilizing formula, mulching formula, nutrient deficiencies, identifying perennials and annuals by common name, identifying native and introduced plants by common name, knowing differences in warn season turf grass, how to stake a tree, cut a tree...that's all i can remember.

Most of everything on the exam is in that 300 page study guide, and from what I hear they ALWAYS change the test!

Good luck and don't give up, you will get it!

#3 ·
steven i agree i failed it the first time... its hard with a book so big to know whuts going to be on there... you should check into the classes... i know in lafayette once r twice a year they have a prep class for the license it last till noon then you pay and take the test at the end

#6 ·
Can you guys inbox me the info to get the test books. I am in the process of taking my applicators test and would like to do the Hort cert next.

#14 ·
Appreciate the quick response. Another question I have for you is what is the format of test questions? Essay, multiple choice, matching, and how much of each? This would be invaluable to prepare for this test! Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
all of the above. i rememeber there was T/F, multiple choice, matching, & a few fill in the blank

#16 ·
I took it and passed it a few weeks ago (Feb 15th), this was my second attempt and the second test is slightly different from the first, be sure to know the Fert. calculations, mulch calculations thats what bit me on the first test...their are some really detailed questions on that test for such a wide variety of information.....Good luck!!

#17 · (Edited)
Thanks again for responding. I'm taking the test next Friday, the 9th after lunch. Since taking it again and it's kind of fresh, what do you remember specifically being on it, and how many of each type of question,(multiple choice, matching, fill in the blank). When you talk about knowing the calculations, do you have to work a problem, or just correctly match it. Also, i don't remember seeing the mulch calculations in the manual and went online to find it. I hope i am using the right one. One other thing, how many questions are there about the general rules from that little blue manual, not the 300 page thing. I was told there would be something from that.
So how well did you pass it if you don't mind me asking? Do you just have to pass with a 70 or better? you don't know how much i appreciate this info. I think i have test anxiety anyway, but i feel like a lot is riding on me passing this one. Thanks again.

Scott

#18 ·
Sorry for taking so long to reply, I guess by now you have taken the test, I hope everything worked out for you.

#19 ·
Ha ha! your timing couldn't be worse! Just kidding. I took it today and was basically done within 15-20 minutes. 38 questions. I knew glancing over it that i didn't study the right material. It was all over annuals/perennials, shade tolerance of the different grasses. I made 16 pages of notes/questions and only a handful of them were on the test. It blew me away where the questions actually came from.
My wife said to just be patient, maybe i'll get it back and will have passed it, but you know when you passed and when you didn't. A question, if i failed, then i have to reapply, you said their is a second test that is over other material? Frustrating is not adequate to describe how i feel about having to jump through these hoops for this certification. All i want to be able to do is lay sod, plant some beds, and fertilize my yards. I don't remember having to be certified years ago to do these same things. Sorry if I'm rambling, or more like venting. I'll try to remember to let you know how i did.
How is having your certification making things different for you now? Congratulations!

#20 ·
Having my cert. looks good when presenting yourself and your business to people, also I can now get contractors pricing at nurseries so I can buy my plants/mulch/sod at wholesale prices and sell them to the customer at retail and make a small profit on the materials as well as on the labor. It also allows me to push the landscaping side of my business more now that I am certified.
It took me 2 attempts to pass it, the second time I had a better idea as to what to study and was better prepaired the second time around.

#21 ·
Happy for ya! I here ya about saving at the nursery etc. That is my predicament now that i want to be able to offer almost all services to customers, instead of them having to hire 4 people to do all the different jobs; lawn care, bed work, fertilizer, pruning, light tree pruning, etc. If i had the certification i would feel more comfortable saying i do this or that. You know what i mean.
About the 2nd test attempt, when i test again, won't they send me the 2nd version? I remember the test i took had on the top, 'Test 1'. So wouldn't the next one be slightly or completely different? It will probably be on the stuff i actually studied for on the 1st one! Thanks again for your help.

Scott

#23 ·
I am taking the Landscape Horticulturalist exam tomorrow. Just finished the certification class I took to prepare me. Make you a set of flash cards for the deficiencies. That helped me learn them a lot. I don't know where y'all are getting this "big book" your talking about. The Louisiana Manual For the Environmental Horticulture Industry isn't very big at all. Well, good luck to all you guys. And stay tuned for Artistic Land Crafters, LLC

#25 · (Edited)
Concentrate on the calculations for mulch and soil layout and well as the calculations for fertilizer and know the trees that are native to La. I took it a year ago....but these are the things that I .

#26 ·
thanks for the info. I'm going to try and consolidate all the info once I take the exam and post it here for everyone else. Just doesn't seem to be much info out there on what is actually on the exam. Hopefully, I'll remember to post the day I take the exam so it will be all fresh in my noggin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.