1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Love stripes, but lets talk edges....

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by Greyst1, Jun 17, 2013.

1. locallawncare.ca

locallawncare.ca LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I don't like when the edge becomes more of a trench, one of my pet peeves, it shouldn't be wider than 1/8 tp 1/4 inch at the most. I see some that are 1 inch and up, like whats going on? Just my thoughts. I agree stick edger for overgrown/new edges and sting trimmer the rest of the season.

2. biscuit141

biscuit141 LawnSite Member

Exmarkboy, how do you edge the bed? Do you use a stick edger? This is where I need some improvement. I only have a stick edger but I need to clean up my bed edges.

3. Exmarkboy13

Exmarkboy13 LawnSite Senior Member

i use a freshly sharpened spade. No mechanical devices at all

4. tamehart88

tamehart88 LawnSite Member

what is everyone using for bed edges?

5. J Dawg

J Dawg LawnSite Member

I worked for a company for a little bit last year that had a few accounts that had edges like that. bothered me too. I like an edge that is about 1/8"-1/4" wide and about 1"-2" deep.

Personally, I don't really have any that I need to edge; most people use that black plastic edging that lasts forever if you don't mow over it. I think I would probably just use a spade if I had to though. :)

6. APLUS LAWN CARE

APLUS LAWN CARE LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from North Missouri

I don't do any edging. No LCOs in my area do it and I have actually never had anyone request it. I would like to get an edger and start edging just to help me stand out a little more. Hard to justify spending the money on an edger though and I sure ain't going to do it by hand.

7. rockycrab

rockycrab LawnSite Member
    from oregon

We use Powertrim walk behind edgers for walks and to cut soft edges monthly.
    Stick edgers to maintain tree circles and little ornaments like valve box's.
    Just got a Echo tool called an Edge definer. Nice tool for rough unedged areas! Throws a ton of crud around though. Demo'd one last year for two weeks and it worked like a champion. Bought a new one last week and it worked for an hour. Damn!
    Back to the drawing board

8. Agape

Agape LawnSite Bronze Member

i took the shield off my stihl fs130r and taught myself to edge left handed and walking forward.
    now I'm edging as fast as i can walk, I'd run, but I bounce too much.

Ultimate - Barre 04.jpg

9. brandoncuts54

brandoncuts54 LawnSite Senior Member

Here are some of my edges

Picture 16.png

Picture 8.png

Picture 7.png

Picture 5.png

10. wilsonsground

wilsonsground LawnSite Member

Couple pictures of our work

2013-05-08 21.10.48.jpg