1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Lowering deck height

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CK82, May 9, 2006.

1. CK82

CK82 LawnSite Member

I have a 36" great dane walkbehind and I need to get the deck to cut a little lower, the rear wheels are at there lowest slot possible and the front casters are also set without spacers, which is also the lowest possible. When I purchased the mower (used) the previous owner had three decent sized washers on each spindle, which lowers the blades approximately 3/4". Can I add more washers to get the blades to cut lower. I see no other possible way to get a lower cut?

2. Frosty03

Frosty03 LawnSite Member

Let some air out of the tires.

3. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

MOst I have seen have 5 spacer on the spindles the ones not on the bottom should be on the top , that way they stay with the bolt. If you have some about 3/4 in threads showing on the top of the bolt then the previous owner probably just lost the rest of the spacers. You should be able to get more of the 1/4 in spacer at any dealer. I think they are pretty universal.
    HOw low are you tiring to go? set up like you said you are probably at about 2" already.

4. CK82

CK82 LawnSite Member

Well on my Z master I have the setting at 3.15" or so it says and right now the Great Dane cuts that height at the lowest. I would like to go a quarter inch lower to make a cleaner cut early in the year when the yards are lush. I guess adding one or two more spacers would be too bad, or so you wouldn't think. I have seen a few other companys with walkbehinds cutting a lot lower than my Dane has ever been able to go.

5. CK82

CK82 LawnSite Member

Sorry mean't adding a few more spacers "wouldnt" be too bad, or so you wouldn't think.