Lawn Care Forum banner

Lowes Trimmer racks?

13K views 33 replies 18 participants last post by  TMlawncare 
#1 ·
Hey folks, I need a trimmer rack for my trailer and saw one at Lowes for about 70 bucks.

Are these any good?
Do they lock?

I really like the racks by Green Touch but man they are proud of those things! I'm sure they are worth the money but as a start up I am trying to save as much money as possible.

#2 ·
I ran across those, but ended up with the Xtreme racks.

Think of it this way. One of the Extremes that holds 3 trimmers is basically holding $1000+- now do you want to have them in a locked, proven, good rack like an Xtreme that will hold the trimmers secure and cause 0 harm to them or in a cheapo one from Lowes that really looks like it would not be very good quality?

While I will agree they seem a bit pricey, they are definitely worth the $$$. Also, you can get I believe its $10 off or 10% off of your order with a coupon code (I believe the code is lawnsite1). Do a little searching on here and you will find the coupon code.

#3 ·
Hey folks, I need a trimmer rack for my trailer and saw one at Lowes for about 70 bucks.

Are these any good?
Do they lock?

I really like the racks by Green Touch but man they are proud of those things! I'm sure they are worth the money but as a start up I am trying to save as much money as possible.
Trimmer racks are not a place to save money, they keep expensive trimmers and edgers secure and keep them from rolling around. Don't buy the ones from Lowes, but do buy a set from Green Touch it'll be money well spent. When I first started out I used the Lowes ones and they suck, there's a reason they only cost $70.00.

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Those Extreme racks are nice man! I could really trick my trailer out from that site( Trailerracks.com) I added it up and if I get everything I want for my trailer it would run about 600 bucks LOL! I paid 750 for my 5x14 trailer so that would come to 1350. I guess thats still a lot cheaper than buying a new tricked out Lawn service trailer. The cheapest one of those I found while trailer shopping was 2300 dollars so I would still be saving 1000 bucks.
Also, all of their stuff locks. I've been real worried while working because all my stuff is just lying on my trailer. Mowed a duplex in the hood yesterday for a Realtor and could hardly work I was so worried about my stuff. People walking around everywhere and they could have easily walked of woith some of my stuff!

#6 ·
Just build your own, Look under my threads and take a peek at the ones I built, they lock and are super heavy duty. There is no reason why green touch and the others charge as much as they do, it is just steel after all, and doesnt take that much to build a set. Mine cost around $50 and are heavier than any mass produced ones. Plus Im sure those companies get a deal on steel since they buy it in bulk. The markup on those has to be at least 250%!

#7 ·
Yeah, thats what I'm doing. I'll start with the trimmer rack and then maybe the rack that holds hand tools. That would be really handy as right now I just throw my hand tools in the back of my truck. I'm paying cash for everything as I earn money from my lawn biz.

#8 ·
Just build your own, Look under my threads and take a peek at the ones I built, they lock and are super heavy duty. There is no reason why green touch and the others charge as much as they do, it is just steel after all, and doesnt take that much to build a set. Mine cost around $50 and are heavier than any mass produced ones. Plus Im sure those companies get a deal on steel since they buy it in bulk. The markup on those has to be at least 250%!
Do I have to know how to weld? If so I may be in trouble. I have a little 70 amp stick welder but I am not very good with it.

#9 ·
Do I have to know how to weld? If so I may be in trouble. I have a little 70 amp stick welder but I am not very good with it.
You could bolt everything together, but its much easier to weld it, just practice, and you will get better, pay close attention to the pool of molten metal when you weld and where it is in relation to the pieces your joining. I use a 125 welder, but a 70 amp should be able to weld 1/8" thick stuff? Thats what I build most of my stuff from.

#11 ·
Thanks Lazer_Z for the coupon code.

MikeKle, I think I'm gonna pass on building the stuff. If I were a better welder I would. I need to practice.

#16 ·
pssh i use those lowes racks havent torn up anything i have
Hey I just put a lowes rack on my trailer today, do yours shake a lot up top? Im worried their going to shake so much something is gona happen to my trailer frame.

#17 ·
You could bolt everything together, but its much easier to weld it, just practice, and you will get better, pay close attention to the pool of molten metal when you weld and where it is in relation to the pieces your joining. I use a 125 welder, but a 70 amp should be able to weld 1/8" thick stuff? Thats what I build most of my stuff from.
you should start by mining your own iron ore and refine it. you will be able to save alot more there.you should also build your own welder.the mark up on these are like 250%.unfortunatly you wont have any time to mow lawns because you will be busy saving so much $. wait,never mind all that just buy the green touch.i love mine and would never go back to working out of the back of my truck.

#18 ·
If your rack is shaking up top you need to look into your mount point it sounds like your frame rail is to weak , On a 90 degree angle it is common if the rack is over 24'' to twist the frame rail due to the trimmers weight . we build all of our racks and its alot easier to outfit a truck on $150.00-$250.00 then 600+ and they work just as well .

#20 ·
If your rack is shaking up top you need to look into your mount point it sounds like your frame rail is to weak , On a 90 degree angle it is common if the rack is over 24'' to twist the frame rail due to the trimmers weight . we build all of our racks and its alot easier to outfit a truck on $150.00-$250.00 then 600+ and they work just as well .
Im thinking of getting a piece of square metal tubing and welding it under that section of frame rail. I think that should stiffen it up a bit. Any thoughts?

#22 ·
Im thinking of getting a piece of square metal tubing and welding it under that section of frame rail. I think that should stiffen it up a bit. Any thoughts?
should work pretty well... dont let these guys fool you i dont understand why they are spending $300 or even as much as $600 for trimmer racks when these $70 ones work just fine do they spin? sometimes.. does it hurt the trimmer? not one bit.. if it does hurt the trimmer you either put the trimmer in wrong, didnt space the rack right, youre driving way too rough, or have a crappy trimmer i can think of much better things to spend $300-$600 than stupid trimmer racks

#23 ·
we simply get a piece of 2''x2'' (or what ever the width of the top rail is ) and weld it in standing up like the rest of the braces but we do it directly under the rack . the junker rack will not hurt a trimmer neither will spinning .it will at worst polish a spot on the shaft tubes lol we space ours where its 4 inches behind the foot and the other one between the handle it will very from trimmier to trimmer but what this does is limits the sliding into the handle by the foot . on 90 percent of the trimmer racks there is only a few differances lockability , the thickness of the main tubes and on some the coat the locking fingers in a rubber/plastic ...... NOW your only talking about 30 lbs of trimmer 1/8'' steel is just fine 3/16 is thicker , locability is solveable as well . and the coating you can get at any parts house ....they use it to coat pliers you just smear it on . i will say this though in the main tube where it bolts to the trailer drill a hole up into the bottom so if the top square, used to close the hole off leaks it can drain out the bottom or it will rust out in 3 years or so .

#24 ·
for about 7 years. Just last season the top lock piece broke. So I'm about to replace them.

The trimmers do spin....and if they last long enough it will wear a spot on the shaft. But I buy the $220 trimmers and edgers...and I just toss them every couple seasons and buy new ones.

But anyway..don't waste the money on expensive ones when you're just starting up.

http://www.amazon.com/Commercial-Trailer-Trimmer-Tanaka-Redmax/dp/B00070JK2C

#25 ·
Greentouch Xtreme racks are well worth the money!!! I would not have anything else on my truck. I would just chunk the trimmers in the back of the truck until i saved up the money, It will probably cause less damage to the trimmers than a cheepo rack or any other rack for that matter.

The people saying the xtreme rack isnt worth it has never had them or used them i promise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.