MA fertilizer questions

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by fordsrule, May 29, 2013.

  1. fordsrule

    fordsrule LawnSite Member
    Messages: 72

    Hi everyone

    So I mow a few lawns in central MA on the weekend, I have customers constantly asking about fertilizer and maybe spraying weeds. What I've found on the state website you need a license to apply any pesticide. My question is there a seperate fertilizer license. If there is can anyone point me in the direction of how to obtain information to look into becoming certified/licensed to spread fertilizer. Thanks for your time. Sorry for any typos posting from my phone at work.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. Smallaxe

    Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 10,082

    You may not need a license for simple fertilizer and you'd better contact your state's website and get the details for yourself...
  3. RigglePLC

    RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 13,805

  4. bobbycat02

    bobbycat02 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 60

    The law states any fertilizer or spraying for hire requires a license and liability insurance and you have to put up signs before you apply go to mass pest bureau to get your information also you can use just fert but still have to have a license and liability insurance :usflag:
  5. humble1

    humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA
    Messages: 2,519

    To answer your question, in the commonwealth you don't need a license to fertilize lawns, as MA pesticide bureau doesn't regulate that. However once you put a pesticide in the bag and it gets a EPA reg number on it they do. UMASS handles class training and you need to order the study material from them for your core applicators license
    Here is there website. You can pm me if you have any questions
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. fordsrule

    fordsrule LawnSite Member
    Messages: 72

    Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to look into the core aplicators course and go from there.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Share This Page