Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by PGold, Feb 4, 2007.

  1. PGold

    PGold LawnSite Member
    from biloxi
    Messages: 53

    I was curious what licenses I would have to obtain to drive this vehicle when it is unloaded. I only need to drive it on the road once from the pick-up location and it isn't being driven for my business. It is for personal use.


  2. tthomass

    tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA
    Messages: 3,498

    cdl to be legal and that is going to take time to get...........where are you?
  3. PGold

    PGold LawnSite Member
    from biloxi
    Messages: 53

    I am from Biloxi, MS. I have to pick it up in St. Louis.
  4. PGold

    PGold LawnSite Member
    from biloxi
    Messages: 53

    Just by looking at those pictures, what would you guess that truck is worth? It is a 1984 with 186,000 miles.
  5. twj721

    twj721 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 619

    cdl with airbrake endorsement probably be cheaper and easier to get somebody to drive it for you but not nearly as much fun but it will be a rough ride for sure
  6. Mike33

    Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,649

    Personel use, dont tell me you are going to Wal-mart with it. I think ou will need cdl for it. It defenitly apperas to be a commercial vechicle.
  7. PGold

    PGold LawnSite Member
    from biloxi
    Messages: 53

    haha! I think it would make a wonderful grocery truck! I am using it to put some beams up on my house. When I am finished with it, I am going to put it on the side of the road and sell it. Do you have a clue what that would be worth?
  8. AintNoFun

    AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,807

    in NJ you'd need a class B...
  9. hosejockey2002

    hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,195

    Unless you're getting the truck nearly free you won't save any money just using it to set beams on your house. You need a class B CDL to drive it. If you are driving it from state to state, you will need a diesel fuel permit for each state you drive in. You'll get maybe 7-8 mpg max, so you'll have fuel costs too. If you've never driven a truck like this before, you can tear it up pretty good if you don't know what you're doing.
  10. Dirt Digger2

    Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA
    Messages: 2,396

    you need a class B with airbrake restriction lifted...if you've never driven a truck like that pay someone to drive it for you...those Macks are a bear to drive and if your hoping in it and driving from st. louis to mississippi you are in for one hell of a ride

Share This Page