Lawn Care Forum banner

Made a customer cry

3K views 28 replies 26 participants last post by  Movinfr8 
#1 ·
She just bought a new Lexus, and left for the day. Leaving the car in the driveway. I mowed her lawn,Trimmed, and blew the walks and driveway like I do every week. She calls me at home at 8:30 PM that night and is choking back tears. When I mowed, I hit a few dry patches in her lawn ( like I do on every lawn ) Causing the big dust cloud. I guess one of the clouds got her car dirty. She wants me to drop everything, come over, and "use my little blower to clean her car"

WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?

#5 ·
Originally posted by cos
, I always blow all cars off when walking by the them.
Me too!

Even my truck gets a blow job after every lawn!

Did I just say that? :eek:

#6 ·
Apologize profusely and then give her a coupon for a free car wash. And politely ask her to park it somwhere else next time.

Work on your CSA, man

#8 ·
As stated in previuos post, it would had been prudent to have blown her car off.

You should apologize and tell her it won't happen again. As far as coming over at that very second I don't think so. Her car isn't that important. If it is a good account and you don't want to lose it you might want to offer to pay for car wash.

After all it is only dust.

Hate to see what she would do if you hit her car with a rock..

#11 ·
Originally posted by parkwest
Apologize profusely and then give her a coupon for a free car wash. And politely ask her to park it somwhere else next time.

Work on your CSA, man
This says it ALL. At times I think we forget we are in the business of SERVICE - if the customer doesn't get that service from us they'll get it from someone else.

#14 ·
I'd personally go over and hand-wash it for her, do a bang-up job. They'll never forget you. But after that blow it off if she refuses to put it elsewhere (hint, hint, tell her it needs moved).
Sometimes I work so hard on customer service I think it just flows over into my personal life, I must be a nice guy :p ;) :) :angel:

#16 ·
What time in the evening was it? If still daylight I would probably go back over there and wash it off with the hose or blow it off then remind her of where it says in the service agreement to please keep the cars inside or away on her mow day to prevent in the future. If she doesn't have a garage I would try the old blow off deal too- it would depend on how nit picky she is about the dust on the car- If it were my own car I would have to wash and chamois it to have it look decent again/ I do this often (black truck). She obviously is crazy about her car or she wouldn't have been so emotional about it.

#18 ·
lol! Come over to blow...hahahaha. Sorry.:D

Proactive would never have this happen to you. We always blow cars off when we walk by. If you would have done this to start with you never would have an upset customer.

Lesson #1: Besides the place is fresh cut and looks nice, the customer should never be able to tell you were there.

Lesson #2: Treat every property like it was your own. Including cars, window seals, a/c units, etc. By being proactive the customer is always happy.

#19 ·
Boy am I glad all of you professionals set me straight.
I was starting to think she was a PITA customer.
Could it be that I am the PITA, hmmmmm.

As it turns out, She brought the car back to the dealer and took them up on the free detailing for a month offer. ( that dealer will be jumping off of his roof within a few weeks ) She also did not want me to wash her car because " it would push the dust into other areas. "

She is one of those customers that yell and scream about the smallest thing, But she is usually right. ( not about the car, she was dead wrong, I actually stopped and admired her new car before I left. )

#20 ·
well to be honest with you after a long day i prob would be laiable to tell her to do it herself, i mean its only dust, drive around the friggin block and let the wind do it.

unless this is a gold mine acct and you happen to like the lady my response would be "sorry, im tied up at the moment, i will see that it does not happen again"

and in the future, just run the blower on the car

#21 ·
Originally posted by 65hoss
lol! Come over to blow...hahahaha. Sorry.:D

Proactive would never have this happen to you. We always blow cars off when we walk by. If you would have done this to start with you never would have an upset customer.

Lesson #1: Besides the place is fresh cut and looks nice, the customer should never be able to tell you were there.

Lesson #2: Treat every property like it was your own. Including cars, window seals, a/c units, etc. By being proactive the customer is always happy.
Amen Hoss!!! I always follow Lesson#2 ALWAYS!!!

#22 ·
Live and learn. Either knock on the door and tell her to garage it or just take the time to blow any dust you stir up off the vehicle. But always be extra careful around cars, especially nice ones. One damage claim can eat up your whole year's profit on the account.

#25 ·
Instead of a free car wash, stop at wal-mart or pep boys and pick her up a free "California car duster" and she'll thank you every time she uses it! it really is incredible for anyone with a nice car, or bike, for that matter.
Norm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.