Magna Matic 9000 vs RGB 712

Hexa Fox

LawnSite Senior Member
Hey guys,

So I saw this exact topic posted a couple years ago and read it. So instead of going back and reviving I thought it may be better to just make a new one and describe my personal situation.

So I posted here I believe it was a couple years ago and a couple users recommended a Bradley Blade Sharpener. Especially since I did not want to spend Magna Matic money. I also thought if I was going to go so expensive I might go for a larger belt sander from Burr King or Oregon. I believe Burr King makes them for Oregon but regardless...

So I have the exact same complications with the Bradley as other people have described on here and similar to the Oregon's. Now before anyone jumps on me it is definitely user error on my end. Having that said, I cannot maintain a thirty degree angle on my mower blades at all. There is just too much room for error lowering and raising the grinding disc and moving the the sharpening table back and forth. Not to mention I now have the grinding disc jacked up and it is just all a mess at this point.

I have tried to make it simple, such as putting a mower blade on the grinder while not running and trying to make certain the wheel is touching the entire bevel of the mowing blade. It just never works out. Last time I used the tool to check I think my blades are around a forty-five degree angle. Also in my defense the Bradley is lacking greatly in any type of online videos or even a manual describing how to use it. Like I said I am certain that this is a perfect tool for someone that knows what they are doing but every time I get it out I am left frustrated. I either pay my dealer to do them or purchase Oregon's offline.

If someone has advice for me about the Bradley I would gladly hear it. However, at this point I think I am better off getting the RGB or the Magna Matic. Also if anyone wants to recommend a different RGB or Magna Matic let me know. I really wanted the Magna Matic 8000 at one time because it can also do mulching blades and still may consider it. However, I can see myself having trouble with that too and may just be better off with the RGB 712 or Mag 9000 and just do the mulching blades as best as I can with a flap disc.

I saw people with concerns for both the Magna Matic and the RGB. I think it is safe to say the Magna Matic was much more recommended. However, I am slightly turned off by it because of how similar it seems to an Oregon or the Bradley. I realize it is different and suppose to be "idiot proof". I was a big fan of the "get the grinding wheel very close to the working table (1/4"?) and you will get a thirty degree angle every time" sales pitch. I saw others that said it is more than just that as well.

I heard bad and good things about the RGB as well. I think I saw one or two users saying it was a bad design because you were using a steel disc with grit or something glued to the steel. However, the Magna Matic may be a better machine but the RGB looks truly idiot proof. I saw a user by the name of Eric say buy what you want the first time and now I wish I would have done that. Having that said, if I did do that I would have probably had a Burr King belt sander lol. Anyway before this gets anymore out of control I will let you guys make recommendations.

Stripes4daze

LawnSite Member
Ive been using the 9000 for years, and I enjoy it. Had to replace the black poly table you set the blades on once because the blades were so sharp they dug grooves into the plastic. Other than that, maybe a wheel or 2 a year, depends on wheel hardness. I sharpen blades often so a couple passes is all thats needed. 10 15 seconds per blade if they are clean. Was money well spent.

OP
Hexa Fox

Hexa Fox

LawnSite Senior Member
Ive been using the 9000 for years, and I enjoy it. Had to replace the black poly table you set the blades on once because the blades were so sharp they dug grooves into the plastic. Other than that, maybe a wheel or 2 a year, depends on wheel hardness. I sharpen blades often so a couple passes is all thats needed. 10 15 seconds per blade if they are clean. Was money well spent.

Thanks, I appreciate the response. So is it as easy to use as advertised? You just lower the wheel until it nearly contacts that plastic table and you are good to go? Easy 30 degree angle?

Dawson

LawnSite Bronze Member
I've never seen any difference in cut quality even with what is probably a 60 degree angle on the cutting edge, as long as it comes to a sharp edge on the bottom of the blade it cuts fine.

I have always used a 8 inch bench grinder (currently a JET brand) with the tool rest set at the approximate angle I want but it's just a general guide, I start angling the blade back while sharpening on the 2nd and 3rd time sharpening a set of blades just to speed up the process a bit...cut quality is always the same regardless ime.

I guess I'm saying don't get hung up on getting an exact angle of grind, a sharp edge is a sharp edge. we're cutting grass, not performing surgery.

Stripes4daze

LawnSite Member
Thanks, I appreciate the response. So is it as easy to use as advertised? You just lower the wheel until it nearly contacts that plastic table and you are good to go? Easy 30 degree angle?
Exactly, but like dawson said, angle doesnt have to be exact. Sharp edge is sharp edge. You may have a couple more straglers if the edge gets steeper, but you really gotta be picky to see it. A non issue really.

gchidest

LawnSite Senior Member
The Magna-matic 9000 is awesome. Very easy to use and maintain the 30 degree angle. It's fast, no burns, razor sharp and blades look better then new. Plus, its almost enjoyable. 1000 times better then using a bench grinder or angle grinder.

The machine itself is very robust, well made, fairly heavy and looks good. Easy to work on when replacing parts (grinding wheels) or to clean. The owner also responds to emails when you have any questions or concerns.

With that being said, it's very expensive. I lucked out and picked mine up used, from a larger landscape company who upgraded to a large belt sharpener.

If you sharpen lots of blades or just want the best possible quality cut, than this would be one of the top options available.

OP
Hexa Fox

Hexa Fox

LawnSite Senior Member
The Magna-matic 9000 is awesome. Very easy to use and maintain the 30 degree angle. It's fast, no burns, razor sharp and blades look better then new. Plus, its almost enjoyable. 1000 times better then using a bench grinder or angle grinder.

The machine itself is very robust, well made, fairly heavy and looks good. Easy to work on when replacing parts (grinding wheels) or to clean. The owner also responds to emails when you have any questions or concerns.

With that being said, it's very expensive. I lucked out and picked mine up used, from a larger landscape company who upgraded to a large belt sharpener.

If you sharpen lots of blades or just want the best possible quality cut, than this would be one of the top options available.

I have been seriously considering it. I have just enough sharp blades to make it through this season. However, I am going to need to make a move next mowing season. I was just looking at the All American Sharpener. It is a lot of money for something you just clap to your workbench in my opinion. I understand that a lot of thought and science went into it but still.

It also appeals to me because I have had the most luck with angle grinders so I am also used to them. However, the problem is the same, as in the more I sharpen them the further I get from 30 degrees. Also I noticed the bevel beginning to round out after using a flap disc for some time. I noticed this company also now offers an attachment for Honda mower blades and I use Honda self propelled mowers often.

The Magna Matic 9000 is one I wanted before and now feel I would have been happier if I would have just bit the bullet in that moment and bought it. I kept talking myself up to more expensive setups like the 8000 and then to the Burr King Belt Sharpener. I honestly would own a belt sharpener right now if it wasn't for the required 220 power supply that I did not want to add in.

Top Forums